Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Skunk
I purchased a 14' aluminum boat this spring, hoping to increase my access on Deer Creek for fishing. I fishing this morning from 6:15 am unitl 10:30. I mostly trolled along sailboat beach, west down to the bouys and back along into wallsburg bay, mostly along the 25-40' depth range. I was using lead core line, about three colors out, a 5" dodger, orange and flash trailed by a night crawler. Not even a bite. I thought the scheels guy who sold me the dodger promised that it would attract and catch fish Smile The weather was great, saw lots of wildlife, enjoyed my boat, but skunk smell is still on. I was marking a few fish, but not as many as I hoped to see.
[signature]
next time try a green dodger something like what is in the attachment with a 18 to 24" leader between the dodger and hooks also you need to change speeds go from 1.3 to 2.2 mph.
when strawberry opened up I stopped fishing DC so don"t know what is working now

with the rain and stuff maybe the fish are not biting but with this warm weather I would bet things will start to pick up

(I was using lead core line, about three colors out)
this is good If three colors does not work let out 4 colors the fish may be starting to go deeper
use two lead lines have one out 3 and the other out 4
[signature]
The walleye should be picking up really soon. Also as those daytime temps are warming up the water, the bass action should join in too. I havent chased the perch yet, but im thinking they should be shallow in the Charleston end.
Gabe
[signature]
I have always been successful with popgear and worm. I would be free to adjust speed and depth. Or even location. Good luck
[signature]
I too got skunked at deer creek today. Usually have pretty good luck picking off roaders with my trusty jogging rap.

Just want happening today. Switched to trolling rapala, was just a waste of gas.

Oh well - might try again in the morning..need some walleye for fish tacos.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the replies, sounds like I need to start migrating to the Charleston arm, I appreciate the tip Freaky. Does anybody know if you can still launch small boats on the dirt ramp in the Charleston arm, or are those cement pillars still blocking it?
[signature]
On a side note, at the main boat ramp, on the south side there is a smaller metal courtesy dock. I did see multiple trout swimming around between the dock and the bank. It felt odd to try and fish there while people were launching so I just watched them. They were shallow and swimming around in the same circular area. Wonder if they were planters or what??
[signature]
Yes they are planters. They were planting some last year at the same spot. They will dissipate in a day or two.

I catch trout through the month of May never using anything that runs deeper than a shad rap crankbait and catch way more than I want to. Just follow the food sorces and you will find the fish.

Good luck to you.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Those barriers at the Charleston access are still in place. I am not sure if they will ever move them. I know originally it was because of the suspect water for the mussels on Deer Creek.
Gabe
[signature]
i don't think they will ever have access at Charleston any more . due to the mussel issues and their inability to collect fees
[signature]
Try fishing on the top with a fly or spinners. When I go to DC I start with what worked last time and go to the same areas. When that doesn't work I fish closer to shore, farther from shore,slower, faster, top line, etc. Change things up and when you find something... return and repeat.
[signature]
I appreciate the tips guys. I'm bummed about not being able to launch at Charleston, its a long run from Dock at the Bay with my 3hp motor... I'll keep at it, and give updates next time I fish, maybe tonight.
[signature]
Was down there Saturday and had a half dozen trout hitting at my lure while working the shoreline for an hour. Trolled up another one up by the bridge before going to look for some walleye.

If you can hand launch your boat then you can still launch you boat with a little more work but could save you some time.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.