Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers with mussels
After watching the Wiper Seminar I've been wanting to go to Willard and try it out for wipers thinking they would be active with the water temperature warming up. I got there around 7:45 and fishing till 11:30. I fished with some mussels on a size 2 hook on a leader with a swivel and an egg sinker above it and even used some small rubber bands to keep the mussels on. I didn't catch a single wiper or any fish at all. There were some other anglers there who didn't catch any either and a DNR officer said it was really slow. There were a lot of carp hitting the surface around the shallows though.
[signature]
Don't feel bad or even discouraged.

You fished the wrong area. One thing I know about wipers is here today gone tomorrow. They move all over the lake searching out minnows and once they clean out a place they move on.

Example was one week ago when a buddy got into them, him and his buddy quickly filled a two man limit and let another friend know that went down there promptly after work and him his son and his buddy filled another 3 man limit pretty quick. I don't have a boat anymore so me and the wife went out the next day in the exact same spot and didn't get a hit in 5 hours. We fished until the mosquito mob ran us off at dark thirty.

Mussels are a good bait, it is proven over and over again. Just have to be in the right spot at the right time.

Maybe next time. [fishon]

fnf[cool]
[signature]