Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joes Valley on the fly
A buddy and I fished JV today from our float tubes using fly gear. We launched at the boat ramp near the Sportsmen's lodge and fished to the north. We fished from 9:00 until 1:00 when it got too windy for us old farts to keep going.
We were using fast sinking lines (#7 & #8) along with some size 4 bead head crystal buggers in black/silver and midnight fire. We picked up a few cutthroats, splake, and, sorry to say, a few chubs.

The reservoir level is 76% full and rising slowly. The level really hasn't changed much in the last six months and by the looks of what little snow is left in the high country, it's not going to raise very much.

The water temperature was 48-52 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7'.

There were three boats already on the water when we got there but there weren't any shore fishermen.

It wasn't fast fishing but the fish we caught were decent quality.
[signature]
We were probably one of the boats that day. We fished it three times this spring and the first two trips we boated five muskies and hooked a few more that spit our offerings. This day was much different, the weather was gorgeous, the water clarity was amazing, especially on the south end! We seen at least 25 Muskie, all of them were probably between 36 And 40 inches, but one was a true monster, anyway, they had lockjaw all day, we only turned one that slowly turned to follow a swim bait. Some days you get them and some days you don’t. We could not find the splakes or cutties either, boated one spake trolling and I caught a chub on a gulp minnow, first chub I’ve caught at joes in years, and we fish it regularly.
Great day of fishing, catching, not so much!
[signature]
Thanks for your report. Sorry the Muskie gave you the snub.[:/]

That can drive you crazy, when you know they are there but won't take your offering.

The two of us fished for four hours and we picked up five chubs, two cutthroats, and three splake with only a few other hits.

Pretty slow fishing.
[signature]
[quote gofish435]

The two of us fished for four hours and we picked up five chubs, two cutthroats, and three splake with only a few other hits.

Pretty slow fishing.[/quote]

Slow?

what a spoiled lot we have become!
5 trout in 4 hours fishing is better than a fish/hour. Throw in the other hits, and include the chubs, and that number is even better. That really isn't "slow" fishing.

that's truly a testament to they great job the UDWR has done with Utah fisheries. When anglers are complaining about +1 fish/hour, then we're obviously having some great fishing to raise that expectation!
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote gofish435]

Pretty slow fishing.[/quote]

Slow?

what a spoiled lot we have become!
5 trout in 4 hours fishing is better than a fish/hour. Throw in the other hits, and include the chubs, and that number is even better. [/quote]

My math comes out a little different than yours. I figure two guys fishing for four hours catching five trout that equates to about .625 fish/hour. Sorry I don't count non-game fish.[Wink]

I know the usual fish per hour target is .5 fish/hour so I guess we did better than average.[Smile]

I do agree with your statement that the DWR has done a great job managing the waters of Utah. I especially like the way they have started spreading the different species around so we don't have to drive so far to chase them.
[signature]
[quote gofish435]
My math comes out a little different than yours. I figure two guys fishing for four hours...[/quote]

You figured man-hours, I figured boat-hours.

Either way, you had decent fishing. Nice job.
[signature]