Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Dell Questions
I have never fished Little Dell and was wondering if anyone had advice for me. Planning on going in the middle of next week. I was planning on fishing from my float tube, as long as I am in chest high waders am I ok to do that? Also, I know that it is artificial flies and lures only and that the cutthroat are all catch and release. I have floating line and medium sink. Any suggestions on patterns, time of day, sections of the water to fish, etc. Also, how much is the fee? If you don't want to share the info on the post feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
As of last week there was nobody in the guard shack... so no open gate to access the reservoir easily with water craft. The guard should be showing up any day now... not sure exactly what time he gets there though.

Good news = free access

Bad news = if you want to take a float tube you'll have to carry everything down from the upper parking lot.

Popular place for float tubes and never heard of anyone having issues.

C&R all Cutthroat... you can keep the mythical Brook Trout... no acknowledgement from DWR on the Rainbows, so assume C&R on those as well?

Scuds & leeches work well early/late (low light)... chironomids strong throughout the morning... water temps hitting the 50s now so Callibaetis and Damsels will play a key role now through mid June.

Water is very high this year and the wind can be a real bugger to deal with.

Poachers galore ever since I've been fishing there so keep the DWR hotline handy. They appreciate the help.
[signature]
Head towards the inlet area, and everything Joe Dizzy mentioned in your post, and his previous posts are right on the money.
[signature]
I use green or brown damsel fly nymphs on a sinking line, deadly.
[signature]
Thanks for the info! I'll let ya know how I do after I go.
Went last week. The gate was still closed. Once i got my tube inflated the wind really picked up and I didn't catch anything. There was a guy leaving as I arrived, he said he did well using a flashback pheasant tail and a brown woolly buffer.
[signature]
Typical Dell. Most spring days - not every day - but MOST spring days there is a "breeze" blowing left-to-right (if standing in the parking lot) at dawn. Then it calms down, maybe swirls around a bit, then sometimes glass around 8:00-8:30. Around 9:30 it starts blowing from right to left and often by 10:30 surf's up at the inlet complete with drift wood.
[signature]