Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield - Spring survey & some fishing
The DWR did their annual spring gillnetting on Scofield today. I stopped by along with a lot of other folks to help pull fish from the nets and to see how the fish were doing under the new management plan.

There were a few good sized cutthroats and a tiger trout along with a few of the newly planted Tiger Muskie. There was still the high numbers of chubs, a few red side shiners, and a craw dad or two. It will take awhile before they get all the numbers together to see if there has been a noticeable change in the fishery with the addition of the Tiger Muskie and Wiper. It was nice to see all the folks that showed up to help and their interest in the fishery.

They finished up about 11:00 so I decided to go give Scofield another try from the tube.

The wind was blowing pretty good so I decided to go over near where Upper Fish Creek comes in. The area was more protected from the wind than the west side walk-in-access area.
I launched the tube just after 11:00 and fished until about 12:30 using the fly rod. I caught a grand total of fifteen fish, all chubs.[:/]

The water temperature was 50 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 3'-4'. The reservoir level is at 81% and dropping slowly.

I got out and drove over to the WIA area and launched there about 1:00 and fished until 3:30 using both bead head soft hackle flies and leech patterns in sizes 6-8 and picked up another six chubs but also a good number of 13" - 15" cutthroats. The wind never did let up so called it a day.

It seems the water temperature has come up just enough that the chubs have become active.[:/]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I’ve been wondering how things are looking up there.
[signature]
Great report! Thanks for the update! I hope the tiger muskie do well there.
[signature]
[quote Fishin_Fool78]Great report! Thanks for the update! I hope the tiger muskie do well there.[/quote]

The Tiger Muskie seem to be doing well. Some were stocked as 3"-4" in May and some were stocked as 7" the end of August last year.

That is a lot of growth in less than a year.[Smile]
[signature]
What part of the reservoir did they set the nets?
[signature]
Nice report and pictures, thanks for sharing!
[signature]
[quote cdbrc]What part of the reservoir did they set the nets?[/quote]

They set five nets in different portions of the reservoir.. They set them in the same place each year. I’m not sure of the exact location of each one though.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, going up tomorrow morning and will update the success of the the trip.
[signature]