Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry Fishing
Well I have a fantastic wife! For mothers day, she let me go fishing with my 2 sons. We launched from Strawberry Marina at about 7:45. We saw one other boat launching and only one on the water. Clear morning, calm water, water temp at about 44 degrees..

I got to try my planer boards that i built with the drawings i got from Bob on this forum, and they worked like a champ!

So the setups used were 2 planer boards for shallow presentations 5-15 feet, and used one downrigger at about 18-20 feet, and my son, doing what he always does, (not listening to Dad), going down to 40 feet with a stacker at 30. Why, because Dad said that is not where the fish are, and he always tries to prove dad wrong. While trolling we did mark several schools that were at that 30-45 foot depth, but nothing hit on the deeper rigs. My son also refused to use any scents. Go figure.

We fished until about 1 pm. I caught 8 total including one Kok at about 3.5 to 4 lb, and the other slightly smaller. 5 Cuts, 2 were right under the 23" slot and the others at 18-20 inches. All the fish caught were in 18 or less feet of water. 3 from the planer boards 4 from the downrigger.

We used the usual setups of pink or green flashers and squids, and a couple of wedding ring setups.

I thought we would get into more Koks but it was not the day. Maybe we just werent around them? Maybe due to the storm the 2 days prior? Maybe they havent turned on yet? Maybe a stubborn son? Who knows.

Suggestions?
[fishon][fishon]
[signature]
the kokes are at about 19 feet on the strawberry side and they will come up some time to your lure) on the SC side last time I was there they were down 30'

It never hurts to go deep and try if they don't bit then come back up.
I have got a lot of kokes without putting scent on

when you are deep keep changing lures and try glow you may find something that works there is some good glow squids out there and make sure you use glow beads on wedding ring setups

I have got Kokes down 45' this year at Strawberry
[signature]
How does your son fish at 40 feet down if you’re fishing in 18 feet of water? Or am I misunderstanding your post. When people say they’re catching fish in 18 feet of water, i take that to mean the bottom floor is 18 feet down. When people say they’re catching fish in 60 feet of water at 18 feet down, that changes the meaning.
[signature]
[quote kingfisher82]How does your son fish at 40 feet down if you’re fishing in 18 feet of water? Or am I misunderstanding your post. When people say they’re catching fish in 18 feet of water, i take that to mean the bottom floor is 18 feet down. When people say they’re catching fish in 60 feet of water at 18 feet down, that changes the meaning.[/quote]

do you fish for Kokanee? most kokanee are in water deeper than 40 feet
a lot of cutthroats are in deep water also,
so you are
misunderstanding his post
[signature]
Yes I have. Which is why I was Confused by his verbiage. Feet of water vs depth are 2 different things so I wanted to make sure I was understanding him correctly.
[signature]
So "liketrolling" how do you say the kokes are at 19' and below 40' of water at the same time?

I don't fish for kokes that often, but I thought they followed the thermocline and would be very shallow this time of year, and then go deeper as the water warms? Maybe they don't come up until the water turns over?

Just curious.
[signature]
Thermocline hasn't set up yet. Kokes could be anywhere.
[signature]
Quote:How does your son fish at 40 feet down if you’re fishing in 18 feet of water?
I believe the guy had one DR down 18 feet and the second DR was down 40 feet. The depth of water was never mentioned.
[signature]
[quote SamDaFishMan]I got to try my planer boards that i built with the drawings i got from Bob on this forum, and they worked like a champ![/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Glad I could help! [laugh][laugh][laugh][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."