Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally, after 23 yrs I drew my tag
For Desert Bighorn Sheep!! Did not think this would ever happen. Has anyone hunted the Zion Unit? I've never hunted this part of the state, looks like I'll be spending some time down South this Summer, doing a lot of scouting.
After drawing my Moose tag the first year and buffalo tag in 4 yrs I thought getting all the once in a lifetime species in Utah would be possible. Now I know that was a dream but it was worth trying for.
[signature]
W00T, congrats!

Tom
[signature]
That is awesome.

Can't wait to here the whole story.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks guys, hopefully the story has a happy ending. The good thing is that most of these hunts have a 90% and higher success ratio, so it's just up to me now to make it happen. I'm not a trophy hunter, as far as size goes, I'll be happy just getting a legal ram.
[signature]
Congratulations Curtis.
[signature]
Thanks Kent, sure was a long time coming.
[signature]
Way to go Curt! That’s awesome!
[signature]
Thanks Chad
[signature]
That is really cool!!! I have a couple decades of desert sheep points myself I will probably never get to use. Awesome that you drew and I hope you kill a great ram.

Call Randy Johnson and pick his brain. Best sheep guide in the west. He will give you great advice and is good to visit with even if you don't hire him.
[url "http://www.highdesertsheepguides.com/"]http://www.highdesertsheepguides.com/[/url]

Good Luck!!!
[signature]
Thanks, I'll give him a call.
[signature]
Thats great Curt, congrats to you. Best put the boat away, get in shape and make the most of what you have waited so long for. Pressure is on now!!!
[signature]
Thanks. You know Mark after talking to the guide mentioned above, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not going to do that, put a bunch of pressure on myself. I'll hunt and scout as much as I can but I've decided now, if I don't get one, that's OK too. I felt totally different about it years ago, when I first started putting in for this tag but hunting isn't nearly as important to me now, as it was back then. It will still be a lot of fun, no matter what the outcome and that's just as important to me as getting one. My plan now is to get down there as soon as possible and check out the areas the guide told me about and become familiar with it. Once I locate the animals and put in a few hikes to see how close I can get to them, I'll likely only go back once a month until the hunt starts, just to make sure they are still there. I'll likely get three spots picked out, that I feel will give me the best chance to get one but after that I'll stay away from them, so I don't spook them by me being there too much. There were only 7 tags given out in this area and the odds are that most people will get a guide and at least one guide told me that they just don't hunt this spot, so there likely won't be a lot of hunters there. Put the boat away, no I won't do that, might just haul it down there and fish a few lakes that I've always wanted to hit. Because of the heat in that part of the state, the guide suggested I only scout during the morning and evening. So I'll go back to the motel get the boat and go out fishing for a few hours here and there. Life's too short not to enjoy yourself, so I might as well make the most of this. If I over do it, by scouting every minute I have free, I just won't enjoy myself but that's me and I know other would not feel the same.
[signature]
It's amazing how a few gray hairs change the way we see things. I love your attitude on this and now I have a few gray hairs I understand where you are coming from. I drew a limited entry elk tag. I'm fatter than I should be with one new knee and I need another but I'm going to have a blast scouting and camping and hunting and whatever happens happens. Congratulations and good luck
[signature]
Thanks for the comments.
[signature]
Good for you Curt, thats a great way to look at it. Many others put pressure on to fill expectations.

Don’t forget to get that rifle dialed in and practice making some longer shots. God luck, looking forward to hearing all the details of your trip.
[signature]
Thanks Mark, good idea about sighting the gun in, that's for sure on my list of things to do.
[signature]
Congrats on your tag
[signature]
Curt, I don,t look at the hunting page often.

Just noticed your post.

How fun a Big Horn Tag. I like your attitude going into this.

Bring your boat and leave it in my barn at Minersville.

Fish all the Southern lakes, make it a Southern Utah summer.

What are the dates for the hunt?
[signature]
Thanks Blaine, I might just take you up on your barn usages offer, at least when I fish the lake there, at your place, not sure how far Cedar city is from your place but that might work as well. When I'm down in St George, that might be a little too far to leave it at your place but you never know, it's closer than my place in Ogden.[Wink]
I don't have the dates right in front of me but Sept 15- Oct-15 are pretty close.
[signature]
Stopped by your place on one of my scouting trips this Summer. Thought it would be hard to find but I drove right to it. Met your brother Matt, I think that was his name, sounds like he took a pretty hard fall right before I got there. He said he broke a rib, hope he is doing better, sorry I missed you. Decided not to haul the boat down, it was going to be too hard, since I needed to concentrate on scouting. I was able to fish at Sand Hollow, Quail creek, Newcastle and Minersville, all from shore with little success, since I was only able to fish for an hour, at each location[Sad].
The hunt started last Sat and it looks like it is going to be a tough one.Talked to two other hunters, that had the same permit and they were able to spot some rams from the top of the canyon but never got a shot because of the long stalk they had to make up from the bottom, no access from the top. The rams got pushed up the canyons out of sight and now are nowhere to be found. I'm taking a break for a few days but will be heading back down there next week.
[signature]