Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got schooled by my former student
I had a sturgeon trip planned for today through Saturday and cancelled it over the weekend because of the forecast of strong winds.

A year ago, I took a newbie sturgeon fishing and he has caught the “sturgeon fishing fever” really bad (or is it good?). He contacted me a day after I cancelled my trip and asked if I wanted to join him on a sturgeon trip on the first three days of this week (the only days that the wind forecast looked favorable for the entire week). I answered yes and it was a done deal.

We had a great trip with little wind, until about 10 minutes after we got off the water yesterday, and then the gale-force winds hit. It wasn’t a great trip catching wise (but I’ve seen much worse), with only 13 sturgeon landed, 2 break offs at the boat, another got off at the boat and another came unhooked shortly after the hook set. I finished second in the fish count and my former student finished next to last in the fish count.

I caught the largest one, but it was only 8’ long, and he caught the next largest one at only 7’ 7". Sorry, no pictures, but everyone has seen pictures of 8 feet sturgeon before. My fishing partner took some video that he might post.

Fun trip with my former student and I can’t wait for my next sturgeon trip, which is coming up really soon.
[signature]
I don't think it is so much a fever as an addiction. I guess that makes you a sturgeon drug dealer. Watching Burley's video it looks like the weather was beautiful. I can not wait to get back up there.
[signature]
Yes it is an addiction. Sort of takes some of the fun out of catching "regular" fish down in Utah though. Having great weather is nice, except that it is even more frustrating when the wind is calm and one can't buy a bite.
[signature]
" Fishing is only an addiction if you are trying to quit"
[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
That was a great report!

I've always wished I was strong enough, and the laws permitted, holding a larger Sturgeon up for a GOOD picture!

I'm getting very anxious...!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.