Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon fishing boat chores

This is the first sturgeon of thirteen that we caught over 3 days. I didn't get much footage of the fish because it was small and got landed fast. I later got a 20 minute video of Kent's 8 footer from start to finish.
This video is a test of a chest harness that I made for my camera. It seems to work well. The video shows all the things that has to happen each time someone on the boat hooks a fish. 1. reel in 3 other rods starting with the one closest to the fish. 2. drop Bimini top to get straps and poles out of the way. 3. raise motor out of water where has used as a stabilizing rudder in the current and/or wind. 4. pull rear anchor is used. 5. toss forward anchor overboard to prevent entanglements. 6. get Sheppard's hook ready to pull tail over to a measuring pole that is hung over the side of the boat. 7. Oh Yeah! try to take some pictures and video of all this. pheww. Small children or pets would in danger during this.
Although this one turned out to be small, he would later catch the biggest of the trip measuring in at 96" or 8 feet, take your choice

https://youtu.be/vLEa63i0sL8
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
It appears that our fellow anglers are tired of sturgeon reports. We both got zero replies to our reports.[frown]
[signature]
Maybe so. Thanks for going with me. Good luck next week.
[signature]
I like your posts! A sturgeon trip is very high on my bucket list. Trying to figure out if which is best for me, guided or self guided. I would have to buy all the gear for a self guided. My son and son-in-law live in ID so hopefully they can go with me.
[signature]
Probably that none of us have chased sturgeon or know much about it... Someday when I have more time I'll have to try it... For now the cats and wiper closer to home keep me entertained... Glad you guys had a good trip.. Later J
[signature]
I am not tired of seeing Sturgeon reports!....I enjoy all of them.
I just wish I had more time to participate in the actual trips...not just reading the reports thereof! [Smile]

Also, the video is very good but it doesnt really do justice to the chinese-fire-drill that happens each time a big sturgeon is hooked! Very enjoyable video! The chest harness works great!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
As I was told last year "For the cost of a guided trip for one day is about $350 per person plus lodging, you can buy 2 rods, 2 reels, hooks, and sinkers." If you own a boat and want to go more than once (and you will), I suggest you get your own gear.
[signature]
Love your reports and have read many.

If you could begin to give some insight in how you catch them would be nice. Things like where you launch, do you just cruise till you mark fish or do they lie in the deeper holes of the river? I saw an egg cluster and a nightcrawler...
Law says lighter hook to sinker line, right? So if it breaks the fish has only the hook and short leader to drag around and not the sinker which could hang up on the bottom and trap the fish.

I fished by Hagerman, just below the dam. Good fishing but either launch a boat you can carry down the embankment or has to be a jet boat. I always wanted to try below Bells Rapids, but never have.
[signature]
First thanks for the video as it was interesting to see the different methods that Kent has developed over the years.

Of course the video does bring up a few questions -

First - what is that orange ball on the first line you reeled in ? I've never seen that type of baiting option. Scent Ball ?

Second - doesn't look like you were using circle hooks - wondering what type of hook you (or Kent) prefers - J hook ?

And finally glad you had a successful trip and the Wind Gods were nice - Hope you stayed in a descent motel and ate at that great Mexican restaurant in Mountain Home. The pizza place is a winner too.
[signature]
1. The orange thing is a super secret spinning float the Kent was trying out. It didn't help. 2. I use 6/0 Gamagotsu Octopus hooks. Almost like a circle hook. 3. I have only had bland food at el pinos and my chicken enchilada at el heradado's was cool to the touch. So I don't know of any Good Mexican places.
[signature]
I have been keeping a log of my sturgeon fishing for the last 8 trips. The fish seem to favor deep holes, but may be at the start, middle, or exit of the hole depending on seasons. Holes is a relative term also. 25 feet is deep in parts of the river and 90 ft. may the deep hole a couple miles down. I find that marking and anchoring upstream is most productive.
[signature]
[quote Troll]

...do you just cruise till you mark fish or do they lie in the deeper holes of the river?

[/quote]

We sometimes are fortunate enough to see sturgeon on the bottom and anchor above them, but most of the time we just fish areas that have been productive before. There are holes over 90' deep in the river; however, I have never found them in water deeper than about 50'. I understand that they go into the deeper holes during the coldest months. Most of the places we fish I wouldn't even describe them as holes. They are just areas where the bottom is sandy instead of lava rock. We fish in water from about 22' to about 50'.

[quote Troll]

I saw an egg cluster and a nightcrawler...

[/quote]

That wasn't an egg cluster. It was a spinning float used for salmon fishing, which I was experimenting with. I have read that floating the bait up a little ways off of the bottom is effective. It didn't work, but I will try it again. We fish with pickled herring, night crawlers (sometimes both at the same time) and chunks of crappie or sometimes other fish for bait. It is legal to use game fish for bait in Idaho, as long as the game fish you are using is legal to have in one's possession where one is fishing.

[quote Troll]

Law says lighter hook to sinker line, right? So if it breaks the fish has only the hook and short leader to drag around and not the sinker which could hang up on the bottom and trap the fish.

[/quote]

Idaho law requires a barbless hook, and a sliding swivel/device that the weight is attached to. The weight must be attached to a line and the line must be lighter than the main line. There is no requirement that the leader to the hook be lighter than the main line. I use 100 pound PowerPro main line and 80 pound Dacron (softer) for leader to the hook and typically 30 pound line to the pyramid sinker. On some of my smaller reels I use 65 main line and 50 pound leader.
[signature]