Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine 5/28
Fished porcupine Monday for the first time. Boat ramp was ruff, but putting the 16' boat in was no problem at all.
We got on the water at about 7:30am and started marking what appeared to be LARGE fish right away. We continued marking many fish until about 11. After that we could not find a fish on the fish finder. We could not figure out where the fish we were seeing earlier went.

We caught 3 small salmon within about 20 minutes of fishing. We ended the day around 2 when a storm blew in. We managed to boat 15 salmon, all between 10-12" and 1 22" brown. All salmon were released for the next guy to enjoy.

Everything including the brown was caught using a flasher and either a pink or yellow squid. Most were caught on downriggers set at about 50' with a couple being caught on a long line about 150' behind the boat.

Water temp was 59, and green. I would say less than 3' of visibility.

We saw something that I never would have expected on that lake. There was a boil that lasted about a minute. We could see small fish on the surface, and some even jumping, and other LARGE splashes and wakes in and around the boil.

It happened about 50 yards from where our boat was. We headed in that direction, and did some casting in the area with no results.
[signature]
Great report and nice to hear you did so well...thanks for sharing that with us... Later J
[signature]
I've seen the boils before and I think they are little kokanee that get pushed up by browns and rainbows. I had a kokanee on so small I didn't know it was hooked and we dragged it though the water for about 10 min. All of a sudden WHAMO the pole gets hit hard!! I reel it in and see this 5" kokanee with teeth marks down its side.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]tj,[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I sent you a PM.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."