Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln 5/29
Got away to fish the channel at Lincoln Beach last night from 7:30 to 11. I caught four bullheads, no channels and nothing after dark. They liked shrimp and worm combos but nothing went after a little smokie. Someone was in "my" spot when I got there; otherwise I think I would have done better. Oh, I also got 3 Budweisers, a Pabst Blue Ribbon, a Rockstar, a Camel and a Marlboro, a Seagram’s cooler, and a big gulp cup. They were all empty, dag-nab it. I hope none of the neighbors walks by and looks in the back of my pickup; they might get the wrong impression! Seriously, I don't mind helping out those who don't have the intelligence or self-respect to pick up their own trash - I just wish they could learn to help themselves.

I don't fish just to catch fish. The red-winged blackbirds, frogs and other assorted fauna were all in full voice. A pair of birds with apricot-colored heads flitted about in the brush and beautiful black and white diving bird of some persuasion kept me company for a while. (None of these left any garbage, by the way.) Just as the sunset faded to a dull red rind in the west the full moon began to rise over the mountains. Its reflection in the water was the perfect spot to cast my bobber so I could watch it for any action, which never came. But all in all, it was a nice trip.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good on ya man that's awesome!!
[signature]
Good job on the fish and the "treasures!" I think it is worse out there lately, at lease on the north dike because people are driving around the gate and parking out there.

They used to cite them and so it didn't happen as much in the past. Things seem a bit more lax this year. Many people have the idea that it is now OK, but if they wanted vehicles out there I sure they would just open the gate.
[signature]
Wife and I went up to Bear River last Sunday, late morning. I picked up a whole Walmart bag of empty worm tubs, chicken liver meat trays, several balls of discarded mono, multiple crushed cans of some type of liquid courage and landed 2 of the biggest Carp I have ever caught. Had lots of nibbles, and wife caught one junior spotted channel cat, and a baby carplet.

Been teaching my kids for years, "pack it in, pack it out" and because others are not as considerate, pack out some trash you didn't take in. Good to know there are others around still doing the same. Good on ya .

As we were almost ready to leave, she looked over the bridge and saw a whole school of HUGE Carp laying up on spawning beds in the fast moving water. Took several photos, but none showed much thru the murky, moving water. As we were watching them, one of the Federal Wildlife Rangers drove up. He and I have met before, and he knows Ahi, so we just chatted a few minutes. He was curious as to what my wife was bent over the bridge wall looking at. When he saw the big group of Carp, he was rather stunned. Said he had never seen any that big before.

Just returned from a trip to Colorado Springs late yesterday. Boy they had some terrible weather. The worst hail I've ever seen on Wednesday afternoon. Tried to take a drive thru Peterson AFB after my conference ended, ended up taking cover under a tree until the hail let up.

Hope the weather improves for this weekend. May convince the wife to take a trip to Lincoln Beach. If ya happen to be there and you see my boat, give a holler.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like a great night!!! Better luck catching channels next time... Later J
[signature]
I believe your baby carp is actually a green sunfish. Cool, because I have never seen one out there.
[signature]
Green Sunfish for sure. Don’t use it for bait.
[signature]
We didn't use for bait. Wife released. last one of those I saw was several years ago at Willard. Didn't know what it was back then either..........[:/]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Yup they are correct, that was a green sunfish or sunbass as we grew up calling them... Best fish in the pond for kids, they will take bare hooks or beat up flys that only have thread and a partial hackle left... Still catching them on my flyrod a couple times a week... Fun little fish and now they are spawning they are even more aggressive.. Later J
[signature]