Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any place to catch big fish from shore (Northern Utah)?
Hi there,

After many years not fishing, I've taken it up again. But now I have kids, and they want to catch _fish_. Is there anywhere in Northern Utah (say north of SLC) where we can catch some sizeable fish from shore (of a reservoir)? Like 16" or more? With bait? Chub or worms or powerbait? Please let me know. Any advice on spots or fishing setups which work here in Utah would be much appreciated.

- A Getting Back Into It Fisherman
[signature]
Willard bay is always open for catfish and wipers.

Wiper action near shore seems to slow down in the summer heat, but early and late, and in the open water stays good.
[signature]
there are lots of community ponds that are well stocked for the little kids. If they have started stocking catfish you can easily catch a 16" and if DNR are get rid of their brood trout they are big but ugly. you'll need to check the stocking report to see what has been put in and where. https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishstocking/Fish.

now if the kids are older and understand that it's fishing not catching all the time. there is Willard, the bear river, Benson marina , Pine View although this one tough from shore. but I've gotten some nice smallies in the fall from shore.

Good Luck and welcome to BFT
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Lots of great lakes to fish from the shore in northern Utah, East canyon is fishing great from the south end from shore. lost creek around the dam and arm is great from shore. Causey can be tough this time of year.

Most of the big fish from the local ponds are caught. If you keep an eye on the DWR web they will tell you when and where these fish are released. Mostly do them spring and fall summer the ponds are to warm.
[signature]
Its been a few years but Mantua is a good place to take the family lots of blue gills and perch that are easy that are catch for the kids and the occasional SMB and trout.

We usually fish a worm under a bobber and end up will fill of blue gills
[signature]