Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6/1/18 starvation
My primary report is that we survived the wind. In between looking for sheltered coves, we managed to catch three rainbows (16-19 in) and 2 smallmouths (~12 inches). Everything we caught was shallow, of necessity. The rainbows were on a small secondary point with a minor current break from the wind. The smallmouths were in close to shore in a rocky cove.

Not pictured: fishermen getting sprayed by large white caps.

Stay safe out there, everybody!
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics.

I haven't been there since April 18th so it's good to get a report.

How were you fishing, shore, boat, or tube?

Starvation can turn on you in an instant.

Some folks say the only time the wind stops there is when it's changing directions.[:/]
[signature]
We had a 16 ft aluminum boat, which was not a match for the wind. So we ended up doing a fair amount of shore fishing in coves. (I'm still waiting on inheriting an old electric motor from my dad later this summer.)

I keep forgetting my thermometer in my fly vest, but I'd guess the water temperature was at least in the upper 60s.

It was a rough day but I'm glad I got out, if mostly to learn a bit about the lake. I was impressed by how stout the rainbows were--heavier than their peers at Strawberry, inch for inch.
[signature]
Thanks for the information.

I used to drive by Starvation to get to Strawberry but not anymore. I still fish Strawberry but the variety of fish along with the size of the fish are a real attraction for me.

The rainbow in your picture is about an average Starvation fish, and they do have an attitude. With the water temps climbing the smallmouth, walleye, and of course an occasional carp will become more active.

It will take awhile to explore the whole lake and get to know it but it will be worth it.
[signature]