Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
While the post is still working, Have any of you fished for Cuts at the berry? all I hear about are the Kokes. Wold like to see a few posts about the Cuts and Rainbows, and what you are doing for succcess. Thanks.
[signature]
Since cutts fight about as well as dragging in an old shoe and they can and are caught with any method used for kokanee and rainbow. And because 99.99% are in or below the slot limit and have to be returned to the lake, there are not a lot of posts. They can be caught with dodgers and squid or lead line and pop gear with a worm. They can also be caught jigging tipped with power bait or worm, or just using a sliding bubble or sinker rig with power bait (probably the most productive method).

Rainbows are in pretty shallow right now and can generally be caught from shore with power bait. Choose a less popular site for best results. If you are fishing from shore at the marina, they will mostly be planters. There are some pretty big ones in there. Find an access either by boat or walk down from a road access. Use a sliding bubble rig on the bottom with floating power bait. They fight hard and although they do not taste as good as kokanee IMHO, they are still pretty good. You will probably have to cut the line on about as many cutts as rainbows fishing with bait.

Good luck both cutts and rainbows are in Strawberry in significant numbers and can be caught with regular gear and without a boat.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
unfortunately cutts are a by catch at strawberry these days .[:/]
[signature]
[quote brookie]Since cutts fight about as well as dragging in an old shoe and they can and are caught with any method used for kokanee and rainbow. And because 99.99% are in or below the slot limit and have to be returned to the lake, there are not a lot of posts. They can be caught with dodgers and squid or lead line and pop gear with a worm. They can also be caught jigging tipped with power bait or worm, or just using a sliding bubble or sinker rig with power bait (probably the most productive method).

Rainbows are in pretty shallow right now and can generally be caught from shore with power bait. Choose a less popular site for best results. If you are fishing from shore at the marina, they will mostly be planters. There are some pretty big ones in there. Find an access either by boat or walk down from a road access. Use a sliding bubble rig on the bottom with floating power bait. They fight hard and although they do not taste as good as kokanee IMHO, they are still pretty good. You will probably have to cut the line on about as many cutts as rainbows fishing with bait.

Good luck both cutts and rainbows are in Strawberry in significant numbers and can be caught with regular gear and without a boat.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Although, I do agree to some extent about the fight in the cutthroat's, they didn't get the memo on being an old shoe last time out. We fished it Thursday before memorial day, and was totally surprised with the fight in them. Whether it was the water temperature ,size of them, or what, they were all pretty much in the 18-21" range.
[signature]
If you want to have fun take the kids to the soldier creek side and fish from the dam. Use green powerbait but the secret is to get the Garlic scented flavor. The rainbows love them and they are pretty big over there. My kids have fond memories of fishing there and when the action was slowing down we just had fun catching the crawdads on the rocks. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have had a lot of success at the berry but had not heard how the fishing has been for the cuts and rainbows. I got a 25 inch bow at Scofield 2 weeks ago, weight was 8 pounds 1 oz. Good fight. Still swimming. Thanks again.
[signature]