Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp activity for bowfishing?
I'm hitting Utah Lake as often as I can, but that isn't often enough.

Some bowfishing guys at work asked if the carp spawn is going yet. I have been expecting it for weeks, but they have been kinda deep under the reeds.

Anybody seeing much activity?
[signature]
I was out their this morning, the carp are in the reeds but their mostly to deep to see.
Mild activity from a.f. to vinyard
[signature]
I was out there about a week ago on the Goshen side and while they weren't thrashing around I could see quite a few under the water in about a foot deep. I had to find some kind of swampy areas to wade around in but I got into a few and the mosquitoes out there were horrendous.
[signature]
Two Saturday's ago, I found carp 'bundles' about 20' off shore, but in tight bundles doing nothing at all. There was a lot of movement in the phrags, but no thrashing.

I got one female for bait and her eggs were not ripe.

Same issue this last week, but no bundles.
The spawn is on! Was fishing Lincoln channel today and the carp were thrashing right on the bank. Could have stuck any number with a hand spear. I could really use some for bait. Is snagging legal?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Previous BFT discussion of this:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_...p_P982858/
[signature]
Just grab a pitchfork and help save some junies. Besides it's kind of fun and a good workout.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
So a pitchfork would be one type of handheld spear, right? Well duh to me! I was thinking I would have to buy a purpose-built item. Would a treble or single hook on a broom handle be a gaff?

edit: Well duh again: a gaff isn't legal either. Thanks Ronald for that reference, it was a great help. Now if I could just remember what I read! After all, I are a English teacher! -Craig
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Carp...specifically Utah Lake carp...are a kind of letter of the law vs spirit of the law thing. They are not a "protected" species and are open to harvest by nets, spears, bow and arrow, etc. And you'd think that snagging should also be legal. But there is no specific provision in the Guidebook to allow snagging of carp...and snagging per se is prohibited as a general fishing method.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, it is doubtful that even the most hardcore CO would issue you a citation if you kept a "dorsal diner" or "tail taker" carp that was too stupid to take your jig in its mouth. There are plenty of cat chasers who keep a jig-rigged rod ready to cast into carp clumps to secure the day's bait. I know from personal experience that when reeling a jig through a carp clump that they will often chomp your lure too...especially if it is sweetened with a bit of worm.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There is one forbidden method of harvesting carp that will get you busted every time...using any kind of firearm...even a pellet gun. That has more to do with public safety than carp protection.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm thinking snagging is not OFFICIALLY sanctioned, but you can spear, arrow, or club em.

I make primitive style archery equipment for another hobby, and have a handful of 5' long Amazonian style, spear -like bamboo fish harpooning arrows. Lots of fun.

Anything is a "spear" if you spear something with it............A long piece of firring strip 1 x 1 board, rounded with a block plane, and a few really big nails (7" or so,) will make a fine gig.

Tip: Wrap some wire around the very tip end of your spear shaft and leave the end long. Lay some 6" or longer nails against the 4 sides, points out and overlapping the tip of the shaft 1" to 1-1/2". Hammer the sides of the nails' heads into the wood, and wrap em down with the wire. This spreads the points the right amount. Then round the shaft.
[signature]
Good idea on the nails. I think tomorrow I will go to the farm and get the pitchfork. If that doesn't do it I'll follow your design.
[signature]

pitchforks will work great. Just a little cumbersome if you want to throw it. [Wink]
[signature]