Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping ice off your guides
[Image: idea.gif] I read a post a couple of weeks ago where someone said that they used chap stick on their guides to keep ice from forming. Today I was thinking about that while I was fishing at Rockport but I didn't have any with me. My guides were freezing with every catch and it was getting frustrating. Then I thought about trying some of my smelly jelly on the guides.[You get a lot of thinking time watching your rod tip.] What a great idea!!!!! The rest of the day my guides were free of ice for the most part. Once in a while I would have to reapply more, but not very often. I found that you don't have to use very much. [A little dab will do ya] Give it a try and let me know if it works as well for you as it did for me.[Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
Sounds like a good emeregency technique. Keeping that in mind, I'm sure that the Crave Nitro Grease would work just as well. It seems to be alot thicker than the Smelly Jelly and last a long time. It seems like it has more wax in it just like chapstick does.
[signature]
Hey
thanks for the ideas i have a 41\2 foot
ultralite with tiny guides that is constantly freezin
[signature]
My guides were freezing today too. I was thinking to fish on warmer days would work best.[cool]
[signature]
Even thro i dont ice fish anymore i have found that useing a small amount of vaseoline on the guides works well also.I have never thought of using chapstick or carmex but it makes sense.
[signature]
Hey Troll, come to Cali! My guides never freeze up. They stay pretty warm just by running fish through them.
[signature]
Use glycerin. It works well also.
[signature]