Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dixie fishing
My wife runs an online theater-reviewing site and we travel to southwestern Utah each summer to take in plays presented at the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City and Tuacahn in St. George. This year I would like to do some fishing while down there at the end of June. Does anyone know of a good lake for big catfish? It looks like I could go to Panquitch for trout, but I'm in the catfish contest and would like to give them a try if there is anyplace good. Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

As good as you would think the catfishing would be, it is the current policy of the DWR to keep catties out of the southern Ut drainages. They are listed as a "possible" catch in Quail Creek, but if you are looking for big cats, Southern Utah is not the place for them.
[signature]
You can try Jackson flat res in knab they catfish in it it is hour 1/2 from st.george or you can try the community pond in ceadar they have catfish there all they got in quail is bullhead
[signature]
Better bet is to head up to Kolob for some beautiful scenery and great trout fishing.
[signature]
Thanks. Kolob looks like a great option and my fishing rods are starting to feel lonely for some trout action. Besides, my wife loves the high country as much as I do. Anything more specific you can tell me? I haven't caught a brookie yet this year; any way to target them? (I have a goal this year to catch as many species/varieties of fish as possible. I'm only up to seven so far and the year is nearly half over! So many fish, so little time.) Is there any stream action around?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I don't think you'll get any brookies in Kolob. Your best bet would probably be Yankee Meadow for those. It's quite a beautiful setting even with the fire last year.
[signature]
One option for catfish while in Cedar City would be Leigh Hill Pond (Lake on the Hill). They stock it with channel catfish. There should be some very nice catfish in there.

I think the suggestion of Kolob is also a very good suggestion. The rainbow and cutthroat up there are exceptional, and the scenery is too.

Panguitch is also a good option.
So is Navajo.
and Minersville.

Maybe hit the Sevier River below Yuba for catfish on your way down?
[signature]