Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Algal bloom
I was wondering what a catfisher does when the algae bloom hits Utah Lake. I found this on the not-so-dark web:

Utah Lake, Jordan River, Canals Algal Bloom Monitoring 2018
Update May 15, 2018
On April 21, 2018, satellite imagery interpolation suggested cyanobacteria cell counts above the recommended recreational health thresholds. The suspected bloom didn’t appear to be lake-wide and was most pronounced in the northern portion of the lake from Saratoga Springs to Lindon Marina.

Sampling
Division of Water Quality (DWQ) scientists collected samples at five locations on May 3, 2018:

Saratoga Springs Marina
American Fork Marina
Lindon Marina
Jordan River outlet
State Park Harbor
The monitoring crew reported that the water looked moderately clean at the sample collection sites. While satellite imagery and buoy network data showed a spike in cyanobacteria activity earlier in the week, both showed this activity was low when samples were taken.

Test Results
All five samples were shipped to Phycotech for cell counts and genera/species identification and tested in-house for cyanotoxins. Toxin test strips were non-detect for microcystin at all five locations but anatoxin-a results were suspect. Therefore, all five samples were sent to the Utah Department of Agriculture (UDAF) lab for further anatoxin-a analysis.

On May 8, the UDAF Lab confirmed that anatoxin-a was not detected for all samples and PhycoTech reported no detections of cyanobacteria cells.

It appears that a localized cyanobacteria population grew and disappeared quickly. This kind of activity is not surprising since it’s early in the season and cyanobacteria in the lake haven’t established a baseline population yet. DWQ plans to conduct weekly routine HAB monitoring on Utah Lake beginning May 14, 2018.

Sooo, could somebody translate that?

When does the bloom shut down fishing in UL? Where do you go after that? And when does it clear again?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

So, with a little further reading I discovered this site that puts it all in layman's terms:

https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/harmf...looms-home
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I just keep on fishing. I think there is some sort of algae bloom at Utah Lake. The media has made it an issue. I don’t swim in it but in kinda puts a dent in recreational boating. A plus for me.
[signature]
Good to know. Kinda figured that cats don't need clear water to bite anyway. About getting together: call me anytime today.
[signature]

[#0000FF]There are algae blooms every year. Some years worse than others. The toxic blue-green algae is always worse around harbors and near where treated wastewater (phosphorus laden sewage) comes in. Large parts of the lake receive good aeration from the winds and have no nutrient inlets so they are much lower in algae and less ugly.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the past two or three years of lake closures due to heavy algae blooms fish were tested for harmful results due to the algae. None have been found and there is no residual buildup in the flesh.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]However, people and pets should avoid areas of heaviest buildup and should never drink the water or allow any to get in their mouths while swimming.

[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am attaching an article from last year, by a professor who is knowledgeable and experienced in all matters Utah Lake.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Very insightful, as usual. I would still be interested in when to expect blooms and what fishers do when they (the blooms) show up.
[signature]

[#0000FF]Most years the blooms start when water reaches the high 70s to mid 80s temperaturewise. That usually happens first in the backs of protected harbors...like Lindon. But an aerial view of the lake shows them beginning around treated sewage outfalls too.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Once the harmful algae shows up...and there are closures and warnings...a lot of us cataholics either fish other waters or at least fish areas around Utah Lake that are not showing as much of a problem.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you are not right inside the harbors you usually don't notice the algae much outside in the main lake.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Three years ago, the algae bloom did not even begin until early autumn and only lasted a short time until water temps dropped.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here is my own personal opinion synopsis from my 2017 edition of my UL book/CD.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm with Ice-Sled on this one. I have always fished right through the blooms in the past. As long as you avoid contact as much as possible with the water I see no serious threat. "Fish/boat/recreate at you own risk" signs are sufficient; no lake closure. The blooms don't seem to bother the fish... last year there was talk of massive fish kills from the blooms, never happened.

Fish on.
[signature]
algae blooms have been around as long as water has , it's just the last several years that they decided to hype them to death on the news ,to scare people into watching and waiting for their permission to go back to the water . rant over water .
[signature]
I didn’t stop fishing. I talked with a biologist collecting samples one day and she said the fish weren’t affected. I don’t go swimming in it, but I continued to eat the fish the same as usual.
[signature]