Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ strike
Well I got to fish last weekend. Bass was decent. Tried for some perch/crappie for a couple hours in the narrows on Sat with no luck. I checked the cleaning station at air Force dock. Not much in it. Fish and game was doing creel checks, they said they have had pressure to start putting limits on crappie/perch at CJ.

Had a fun time with the grand kids. They caught some bass, that was the best part.
[signature]
Limits sounds good to me. It would certainly maintain the fishery with a higher quality of Crappie. Brownlee has been decimated by the oriental fishermen from Portland area. It used to be a premier lake for Crappie, but now has dropped to a mediocre one. The Fish and Game need to keep tabs on the situation so we maintain high quality fisheries in Idaho. They even need to get involved with the Oregon fish and wildlife and get limits at Brownlee.
[signature]
[quote fallsfish]Limits sounds good to me. It would certainly maintain the fishery with a higher quality of Crappie. [/quote]

Not necessarily. If by "quality" you mean larger fish, then that statement may or may not be true. If the fish over populate then small fish is all you'll get. If by "quality" you mean more fish being caught on any given day, then your statement may be true. But to me, quality is not related to quantity.

I get the impression that it is political pressure driving this. I hate it when fish and game submits to political pressure. Limits and harvest control should be science based, not politics based.
[signature]
think those who call for limits on perch and crappie at CJ should do a little more fishing before calling for action. CJ is full of both species right now to a point that I believe will lead to smaller fish in the upcoming years if the current population isn't culled. you need good electronics and patients to find them. just because you didn't find them in the usual spots (AF ramp, under the balls, out off cottonwood, in the narrows) doesn't mean a lack of fish. I fish CJ a lot and have never been skunked. my son says "we go catching, not fishing"
[signature]
everyone of those perch were full of crappie minnows
[signature]
Made it to CJ today. Fishing was slow for us. Ended up bringing home 20 crappie and a few perch. Managed a few bass as well. Crappie ranged from 9-13 inches. Just when you thought you were on them, they’d turn off on you.

As far as limits go, on either Brownlee or CJ, in my opinion there would have to be some hard evidence showing that people are truly having a major impact on the populations. Things like the water level fluctuation at Brownlee seem to have a much bigger direct impact on the cycles of crappie there, than anything else.
[signature]
anybody fish CJ lately? was thinking of making a trip as soon as the weather cools. any reports would be appreciated
[signature]
Isn't that the same picture you posted a year ago?
[signature]
[quote Biigfish33] Things like the water level fluctuation at Brownlee seem to have a much bigger direct impact on the cycles of crappie there than anything else.[/quote]

Agree!
[signature]