Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reels and Poles
Recently I was in Idaho visiting my Grandma. My Grandpa and she used to fish, and they had about 6 poles with reels in their garage. They told me they hadn't fished for many years, so they said I could keep and poles I wanted. There was a brand new Daiwa 2505T Jupiter-X paired with a Daiwa Apollo pole. I also got a Daiwa J-16 reel paired with an Ugly Stik SPL 1100. I was just wondering if these will be good poles for me, a beginner. I've tested them out, and they seem to work really nice.
[signature]
No clue. I would say if they are working for your application, then they are good for you! I buy equipment based on application, not really brand. I have some nice stuff and have stuff that isn't considered the best stuff but I like it for what I use it for.
[signature]
They are old to say the least, but except for the bells and whistles missing, they will work fine if they are in good condition.

The Diawa 250ST Jupiter- x is a single ball bearing reel, so compare that to some reels with up to 10 ball bearings now. Still, some experts say you don't need all those ball bearings.

The J-16 may not even have ball bearings, but originally they all came only with roller bearings. Still works well.

The two rods are also vintage, but that does not mean they are not good.

From what I can tell, without seeing them, they should be good trout/light bass rods that can provide good service for quite some years.
Like [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=muirco"]muirco[/url] said, I'm not a brand buyer. I have a mixed bag of poles and reels. Some of my favorite sets are ones my wife bought at a yard sale over 15 years ago. And I buy what I feel I need for what type fish I hope to catch. I have 2 good medium heavy 7 foot poles with larger Quantum reels that I use for cat fish, and then last Sunday I had one of those baited with white bass on the bottom, and one of my old yard sale medium 6 foot poles with old "I don't even know the brand" reel out with a worm under a bobber. And the bigger cat I caught, was on the smaller pole.........go figure. That 26 incher wasn't a record breaker in length, but it sure had some shoulders and attitude on that lighter pole with 8 lb. Stren. [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Up until I was over 30 I always owned one rod and reel at a time. When one wore out or got broken I got a new one. Until I was about 16 (I started fishing around age 2 or 3) I got a Garcia Mitchell 300, but up until then I fished with the cheapest Zebco reels that we could find. I caught lots of fish on all of those inexpensive rods and reels.

Now, I have lost count of the number of rods and reels that I own. One can catch a lot of fish on just one rod and reel until they become more proficient and start fishing for a wider variety of fish and start using other techniques.
[signature]
My uncle loves to fish. as soon as we meet at the weekend in his country house, he talks about his fishing tackle, the cat, and the bait. I love to listen to his reach, he knows so much about fishing that sometimes we sit for half a night discussing this topic.

EDIT: Links are not allowed for new members, especially when it is for advertisement, see the FAQ above for the rules on this site.
[signature]
Most of my rods and reels are over 40 years old. They work well. They were good quality when I bought them and I have taken good care of them since.
[signature]