Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake and the crazy spawn
I have been watching some of the post on Catfish, etc., this year, and wanted to bounce it off what I have seen.

It is over a month ago now when I posted how the white bass were hitting off the rocky areas near the Orchards. Well, as of June 2, 2018, the use of a small grub in the morning or a small spinner later in the day, resulted in a fish on every cast.

I unexpectedly met my Brother and two of his son-in-laws there. Both sons were less then experienced so it took a little practice, but using my light rod for one, or using a small float above a grub and slow reeling, worked well.

Now, this is still important for getting people into fish, but I kept 21 White Bass out of probably 200 caught. My Brother and one son kept 51 out of hundreds caught. We both cleaned the fish and in all cases none of the females had "ripe" eggs. Yep, the eggs were still not ripe. I expect that the hot temperatures this week might change that.

The 4 of us also caught 3 nice cats, 26 to 28 inches. Two were females and took hooks deep so we cleaned them. The females were not ripe yet either.

I am not so shocked with the cats not being ripe, but I was shocked that the white bass were still not ripe. The males did not seem ripe either.

Now I expect that many, even most, of the white bass spawned out already, but..... well........ even the carp have not spawned out yet. I read that this week they were thrashing in the veggies, so I guess that it is back on. I do know that some carp spawning has occurred.

In summary, I have not seen a long drug out spawning season like this in many years.
Same observation here, especially with the carp. I shot a few with my bow last week and the two females I shot were loaded with eggs. The carp spawn seemed to be going at a fever pitch with thrashing everywhere... even out in deeper water.

When I walked along the edge of the launch at Lincoln looking for shooters there were countless fry -- 1 1/2 to 2 inches long darting about in the rocks and moss. This years baby carp? white bass? I suspect they were white bass but it sure seems like the spawn is ongoing rather than seasonal?

I don't keep any catfish so not sure on them but suspect their spawn is on-going as well.

Agreed, it does seem like a long, drawn out spawn this year.

BLK
[signature]