Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question-FLOATING JIGS?
I am thinking of trying floating jigs heads. Where can I get them?

I plan on trying to use them to float up off the bottom. I would attach a kastmaster or daredevil type lure to my line, and 10 inches behind on a leader attach floating jig head with a twister type plastic grub. Then I would let it settle to bottom, bump or play it along.

Open to refinements on this crazy idea. Fishing for wary trout sitting on the bottom in mountain lakes. Need smaller size jigs.

Here in lies the problem, I use 1/16 oz or smaller jigs, and the casting distance is limited. Can't get our to where the fish are sometimes.
[signature]
BFT search for Fligs:

(Credit to TubeDude)

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...time&mh=25

Commercially made:

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categ...zstype=REG
[signature]
[#0000FF]Floating jig heads have been around for many years. They were originally designed for walleye fishing, but have since proven highly effective for just about all species.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Northland makes several makes, models and colors. And most online tackle purveyors have them for sale. However, if you are "crafty", you can make your own in whatever shape, size and color you want.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are also a lot of different ways to rig a "flig" (my term)...depending on the water you are fishing, the species you are targeting and the bait you are using. They can be used in tandem with other jigs or lures...as you suggested...or simply rigged with either a sliding sinker or a dropshot weight and a dropper.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am attaching a couple of writeups to provide a bit more info...along with photos and instructions on how to make your own.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the info!
[signature]
Sportsman's, Cabela's, Bass Pro, FishUSA -- lots of places have them. They work great for lots of different species of fish. Use a 6' to 6.5' ultra light or light action rod with 2 to 6 pound high quality mono and it should be able to fling a 1/16 to 1/8 oz weight pretty far. I just use a splitshot or small egg sinker with a swivel and 14" to 18" leader.
[signature]