Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 6/11
Went with Jim and my son Devon to bird island around 445 pm today. Upon departure the water was great the breeze was small and the sun was warm. We got to our first spot and managed just 1 fish in 25 minutes so we moved to where we would find success. It all came in groups it seemed. Almost like they knew the net was busy. Devon was able to come up with a white bass which proved to be fruitful for us. After we got that Jim picked a 6.5 lb 25.25"er. I managed the biggest at 8 lbs 26". And Devon got a 5 lb 25". Total we brought 8 home, threw 3 back and had the line break on 5 plus what got off. The wind and white caps pushed us off the lake at 645ish. It turned out to be a good outing and enjoyable time with a good friend and son. We were able to get 3 fish for the south.
[signature]
Good on ya. I'm going to have to work hard to stay up with you guys. I'm about to head out and I plan to spend a big part of the day on the lake. You know where I'm going first, then I want to try some new places.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice outing and thanks for the report. They sure like fresh white bass don't they[Smile]
[signature]
I’ve always done well on my buffet of worm tipped with raw shrimp but man it was a total change once that fresh bass hit the water. 1) I wish we could have caught 1 more at least and 2) I wish the wind wouldn’t have picked up. That really ruined it with big waves churning things up. Thank goodness we were on a big pontoon boat it bought us another hour and a half out there. But your right the bass made the difference in numbers and size we caught.
[signature]
Hopefully it’s more fruitful than the other night and the bullheads give way to the channels. Look forward to hearing about your trip
[signature]
I used shrimp for years as my go to bait. At times it out produces anything else for numbers. One summer I tried cut bait and I thought it caught bigger fish. at the end of summer I went back and counted total numbers and sizes. About 70% of the total fish were caught on shrimp, but 70% of the fish over 24 inches came on cut bait.

forgot to ask, which way was the wind blowing? out of the NW or SW?
[signature]
Well, plans changed, and I'm back already. A few things to report:

1. While the channel was pretty calm, early on white-capped rollers were pounding the shoreline. I believe I saw one potential boater pull up, look, and leave. Things got calmer as the morning progressed and several boats went out.

2. As far as catching goes, zilch. I used white bass and shrimp/worm. I thought I was getting a bite on the shrimp/worm but nothing was there. When I reeled in quite a while later the shrimp was gone. Bullhead, probably.

3. Our public servants are hard at work. One boat was heading out and leaving zero wake. I thanked them, to which the driver said, "We try to set an example." Later I realized that they were DWR personnel out to do something or other on the lake. Then later a nice young Sheriff's Deputy informed me that I wasn't supposed to drive on the dike. She said that the Parks people asked them to watch and warn (my words) when they came by. I will comply. (Look, I made a rhyme; I do it all the time.)

Tomorrow I have clearance to go out all day. Hopefully I will really have something to report, of the catching kind. I think my first order is to catch some white bass, as what I have may be getting a little stale.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The wind was blowing from the dreaded north. Which of course made it all that much worse.
[signature]
I was curious because they are forecasting maderately stiff SW winds for the rest of this week.

I would rather be at the Island in a NW wind. A tail wind usually gets you home faster than a headwind[Wink]
[signature]
I was at Lincoln at about 6:00 this a.m. Dead calm at home with 3 mph wind reported on m Real Time Wind and Weather page. No wind at all until I hit the launch and could see rolling whitecaps coming directly out of the north. Bummer[Sad]. Did a drive-thru the parking lot and arrived back at home in time to catch up on some ZZZZZs. Maybe tomorrow.

BLK
[signature]
That is a surprise! The flag I'm talking about is right next to the fwy by University Ave off ramp. I would have thought it would be a good indicator since it is on the edge of Provo Bay.

I hope tomorrow is nicer to you!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Utah Lake has its own weather generating machine in the middle of the lake. Guaranteed that the direction you do not want the wind to blow from is exactly what you will get...no matter where you launch on the lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
True that. One of the wind-direction maps I looked at showed the wind coming from every direction and converging in the middle of the lake!
[signature]