Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report---Enterprise and Newcastle
Took my 2 boys down south while my wife and daughter went to camp.
Met up with my buddy and his son, and his brother and his 2 sons from Vegas.
We stayed in Enterprise Tues and Wed nights.

Tuesday night we went over to Enterprise (fished lower lake both times) for the evening. We caught lots of small trout on powerbait, and sunfish and smallmouth on small jigs with curly tails. Any color worked, that place is loaded with sunfish and smallmouth, but they are all tiny.

Wed morning went to Newcastle. Caught a ton of rainbows that were bigger than Enterprise (up to 16 inches, but most 12-14 inches). Caught a couple 14 inch wipers using anchovies. Kids caught lots of small bluegill close to the shore.

Wed evening went back to Newcastle to try the wiper bite in the evening. Even faster fishing for trout with a couple more wipers. Most of them around 14 inches again, but one larger that weighed 2lb 7 ounces.

All of my wipers were caught on a Tubedude flig tipped with anchovies. Pat, those things are lethal and kept us off the bottom and away from the salad.[Wink]
After my friends saw how they fought we rigged them up as well and they landed a couple in the 14 inch range as well. I used to only use Mussels at willard, but caught most of the wipers on anchovies down south, and think I might make the switch for good.

Thurs morning went back to enterprise for only an hour because the wind was howling. Same story on the trout/sunfish/smallmouth there.

Overall the fishing was fast at both ponds, and really easy even for kids. Most fish were small but all of the boys had a great time. At one point they werent even using poles just a line with a small hook, small sinker above, and a piece of worm on and tossing it out and pulling it in and nailing them

I attached a few pics, the smallmouth is the biggest we caught (enterprise), and the wiper with my 2 boys was the 2lb7oz fish. It fought hard as usual, and I was really hoping it was 10+lb so I could put on a show for my friends, but what can ya do?

Thanks to Koko21 for the intel via PM, we really liked the spot and want to go back soon, wish Newcastle wasnt so far.
[signature]
Nice job and thanks for the report - look at those Smiles!

Anchovies definitely stay on the hook better than mussels as long as they are frozen.

Glad you guys got into some fish and especially the wipers. I have yet to catch a 10+ lber yet but I know there some still in there. Hopefully our turn will come soon.

If you ever do get to trying to anchovies at Willard let me know how that works for you.
[signature]