Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onieda
Has any one fished Onieda lately? If so are the smallies biting?
[signature]
was there over memorial day weekend. 2 boats throwing senkos, over 300 bass caught. biggest was about 14", lots were full of eggs and all released, except enough for one fish taco meal. kids had a blast soaking crawlers in about 20 FOW, get it as close to shore as you can and game on. we couldn't find the walleye, tried some deep water targeting some marks from the hbird, but only caught bass.
good luck
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a good time. The bass are up to par it sounds.
[signature]
Fished Oneida today for the 1st time this year. The plan was to get a quick limit of smallies then go for walleye. I got on the water before 7 and planned leaving by eleven. Started catching smallies right away and never quit until 12. The fish were still biting but I had to leave. Never did get around to the walleye. I didn’t count how many but it was lots. The largest was my personal best at Oneida that I’m going to estimate at three pounds or better, she’s still swimming. The limit of 12-14 inchers I kept were stuffed with crayfish and many of the little guys I released had carpenter ants in their mouths. Water was 68-70* and high with the typical grass floating here and there. Bait of the day was the senko, I went through almost three packs. Caught fish from 6” to 16’ deep.
[signature]
Any more updates for this lake? Looking to get down this weekend and chase some walleyes and smallies...

Thanks

Paul
[signature]
Fished Oneida on the 7th...one 6" walleye caught, about 8 bass caught. By noon, the boat ramp was completely packed and skiers and jet skis were blasting by too. Was more of a hassle than the fishing was worth.
[signature]
I fished Oneida last Saturday by myself and Sunday with my grandson fishing from kayaks. The bass bite was still excellent. We were hitting them from 6”-20’. I like to get on the water at first lite and fish the shallows early with either a wacky rigged senko or a neko rig. Later when the wind picks up I switch to a drop shot cast up shallow and worked back to the boat.
It’s still possible to have a few hours of quality fishing and a bunch of bass before the yahoos roll in between 10-11.
I posted some pictures of Sunday on the kayak forum, but failed to mention what lake we were fishing.
[signature]
My son and I fished it on Sunday from about noon till 5 and caught tons of smallies. We used a 1/8 ounce jig head with 2.5 inch black shad gulp minnows.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the updates... sounds like the smallies should be willing biters tomorrow when we head that way! Any walleyes, perch or sunfish picked up as well?
[signature]
Ended up heading down for the day on Friday and had a good time. Took home 3 perch, 5 walleyes and a limit of smallies. Seemed like 17 feet and shallower was the best depth for all species. Caught them on spinners, Smile blades, slow death all tipped with crawlers. Hit loads of small smallies by pitching a small jig tipped with a piece of crawler to the shore and working it back to the boat. Lots and lots of carp swimming around just under the surface... good opportunity for some bowfishing for sure if that is what you like. Was a beautiful day on the water!

Paul
[signature]
Thanks for the report Paul, sounds like a pretty good day, any size to the eyes or perch?
[signature]
2 of the perch were 8 inches with the biggest one right at 10 inches. The eyes were not very big, all 12 to 14 inches. The smallies we kept were about 10 - 11 inches long. Nothing too huge, but a decent little mess of fish when all was said and done. We caught LOTS of bass from 4 to 14 inches long...
[signature]
That's not bad, I know there are bigger eyes in there, one of the guys caught one a year or two back that was 7 or 8 lbs if I remember correctly. Were you bottom bouncing with worm harnesses or just trolling spinners with a nightcrawler tipping it?
[signature]
1.5 to 2 oz bottom bouncers with spinners (crawler harness), Smile blades and slow death rigs. Bigger chunk of crawler on the spinners/Smile blades and only a half on the slow death rigs. Leader length was from 36 to 48 inches. Chartreuse, gold and orange all seemed to work about the same. Wind was off and on, so we trolled when it was calm and drifted when it was blowing, trying to stay in the 15 to 20 ft contour as that is where we did best.
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed info. I started using those slow death hooks last year and like them, I think it gives some better action that they don't always see, so at times they sure seem to work well and you don't have to waste a whole crawlers. Were you having your best luck in the morning for the eyes or did it seem to matter?
[signature]
We did not even start fishing until early afternoon and were off the water by about 8:00 pm. Did not notice them bite any better during any particular time. One here... one there.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.
[signature]