Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC smallies
I was out again on Deer Creek on monday. Started around 4:30--"after" work. Fished till 8pm. Ended up with more than 23 but probably less than 30 (between 3 of us). Mostly small fish but a few decent (14-15 inch) ones in the mix. I'm attaching a picture mostly to show off my new fishing gloves. They feel very fancy to me.

Most fish on night crawlers. I'm always worried about the fish swallowing the hook, so I end up missing quite a few--or at least I tell myself that's the reason. I was surprised to find a lot of fish around steep rocky ledges, and especially points. I keep expecting them to be shallower than they are. I did go to a popper for a few minutes and rose two fish and missed them. I think you could get some fish on topwater with more patience and less jumpiness.

Next time out I'm committed to taking a fly rod for comparison. Will report back how that goes.
[signature]
[quote _6x_]Next time out I'm committed to taking a fly rod for comparison. Will report back how that goes.[/quote]

Thanks for the report and picture.

You might be surprised how well you do with the fly rod. I like small crystal buggers and leech patterns in some shade of green.

I fished Starvation from my tube this week and found the bass in shallow water, 6' - 10' using my tube. If your fishing from shore a sink-tip is good to use, you can cast longer and stripping it along the bottom is pretty effective.

Good luck!
[signature]