Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC Ocean Swells and too much Waiting time
Went up to DC after work to fish the evening for Smallies. We arrived at about 640 pm and had to wait behind a parade of power squadron at the gate to get in and then waited again to get launched. They have two gates and only one is open. I thought the second gate was there for the season pass holders to use but no they insist on keeping that locked.
So we lost about 30 min of precious fishing time.

We headed straight north of main marina to fish some cliff edges and I thought I was out in the Pacific Ocean off the cliffs of Laguna . The boat waves kept us seated and were crashing abruptly into the cliffs. Power Squadron were in complete control all over the lake and nobody seems to care about giving any space to the fishing boat. I had several speed pass us within 50 ft screaming and yelling. The same boat passed by couple of times. I decided I had enough and tied on a pyramid sinker and was about ready to fish in their direction on the next pass. After a few minutes I calmed down but isn’t fishing supposed to relieve stress?

I really do not see why they cannot mark off some more no wake areas on DC. The fishing was still great as we caught about 15 before dark.
Most of the biting did occur as the Power Squadron parade was lining up to leave. Smallie fishing always heats up at the exact same time as when everyone wants to get out on their skis,tubes and boards.

I guess I need to head up to Jordanelle where there are more coves to hide away in and take shelter.
[signature]
Get bow #s , picuters, videos, Steve Bullock Park Manager
park office 435-654-0171
cell 801-209-1151
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
DC is not a very big lake and about 20% of it already is marked off.

Given the power squadron outnumbers fishermen about 5-1 in the summer when it matters, we have a pretty square deal up there.

My sympathies having to deal with them tho. I fished that lake once a week but during the summer I was sure to be done by 9:30 -- about they time they arrived. Because once they do, it's just frustrating.

Dumb boaters are dumb boaters. I was up surfing at Flaming George and had two fishing pontoon boats pass within 50 feet driving to their favorite fishing spot... this while I was pulling a surfer.

Apparently some fishermen cant make a slight turn on the way to their fishing spot.

Jordanelle is a fantastic option. That Rock Ridge area is beautiful and has usually produced well for me.
[signature]
oh.. I forgot he said give him call he want to keep it safe on the lake.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
It ain't going to get any better !! If you gota go after work, you gotta go !! I try and get on the water up there when they open and am off the water by 10:30 or so when the power squadron arrives !! The few early birds are usually pretty good about staying away from fishermen !
Me to either early or late after dark, it would be nice if the gate would open before 6, I was just talking to the park manager when I bought my park pass, he said if I see anything give him a call and he would get down there or send someone, I didnt even realize he was the park manager, i just thought he was and officer, he seem like a OK guy.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Time to make half the lake wakeless all days or go wakeless every other day?
It would suck to not be able to get to the good spots fast on wakeless days but would pay off in 'relaxation' time.
A lot of lakes back east have 10 hp max limits, maybe that is an option every other day?
The State needs to do something sooner than later. With the Wasatch Front population nearly doubling in the next few decades we better get everyone trained.
Last time I checked, I did not see any plans for more reservoirs to be built......
Thoughts?
[signature]
That sounds infuriating. I stopped fishing DC after memorial day. Even the fisherman show no respect. I have seen so many people have their trolling motors pulling contours even if it takes them within 20ft pf another anchored boat.

Oh well, I'll start fishing it after labor day, I'll drive to starvation for my walleye fix.
[signature]
So you think anglers have a square deal, then say you make sure your off the water by 0930....followed by saying Jordanelle is a better option....I don't agree. I fished DC once and that was a couple yrs ago. However, Willard/Pineview etc are nearly as bad. I have seen some anglers pushing the limit on proximity but the retards driving a 125K wake boat with 3k water in the ballast are throwing a 5ft wake many times on anchored fishermen...If we all agree its better to be off the lake by 0930 then something has to change. I understand everyone pays their way but go to any lake at noon on any weekend and you will find it overrun with senseless assholes with zero consideration for folks who are not wakeboarding/skiing/etc.
[signature]