Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quagga mussels
Apparently two boats were stopped from launching at Willard and were put into quarantine to be decontaminated. One at Hyrum was prevented from launching also.
[signature]
Well that isn't good, glad they caught it before they launched but it's too bad it wasn't caught before they come over the state line, IMO it should be an mandatory stop and inspection there. Saw a Quagga mussels infected boat at the Maverik in Riverdale a month or two back, a police officer pulled up to get gas and I told him about it, his reply, it wasn't his problem[mad], IMO he is the problem and that kind of attitude needs to stop, if we have any hope of keeping these things out of all our waters. He could have at least gone over and talked to the guys pulling the boat and find out where they were going or contacted the proper people but he made no attempt to take any action. I called several agents, that I thought could help but no one wanted to do anything, the boat finally left, sure hope he was not stopping at any Utah lake[:/].
[signature]
That is a real shame. I have recently driven thru Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, and Colorado. All of those states now have signs posted before you get to their Point of Entry (Scales) that vehicles towing boats must also stop. Right along with the big rigs, and any live stock carriers.
Utah should get more pro-active on this subject, IMHO.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
The Sad reality is the three were stopped but have others launched? All who register their "watercraft" paid an additional $10 for prevention. If the boats came from Powell there no checking stations .
[signature]
For some unexplained reason, Utah does not think that these things are a major problem. "It is just to hard to police it" seems to be the mantra from the general public. Most of the DWR folks know what a hazard and problem they are. I am very surprised and disappointed that a police officer brushed off a report that there was a mussel infested boat at a service station. It is a misdemeanor to transport an infected watercraft in the state!! Personally, I would have pulled my rig in front of them to block them from leaving and called DWR to get someone down to inspect and impound the rig. I can be a real SOB though. I would also report that officer to his Department and let them know what happened. DWR should also be notified.
The police officer absolutely dropped the ball. It would have taken very little effort to have his dispatcher contact a DWR officer to come to the scene. The officer could have also required the boater to remain at the scene until the DWR officer arrived to investigate and then take appropriate action.

I would have contacted the police officer's department and discussed the matter with a supervisor. It would have allowed the department to become more aware of the mussel problem and assist with control efforts.

Mike
[signature]
[quote Tin-Can]That is a real shame. I have recently driven thru Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, and Colorado. All of those states now have signs posted before you get to their Point of Entry (Scales) that vehicles towing boats must also stop. Right along with the big rigs, and any live stock carriers.
Utah should get more pro-active on this subject, IMHO.[/quote]
I just returned from Vegas after a few days and signs were posted entering Utah that all boats had to exit at the port of entry...just an FYI!
[signature]
I've been at willard bay three times in one month. Never saw a inspection station or talked to anyone. My boat is clean because of me,
[signature]
Here is a link about 3 boats

[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/2225-three-boats-infested-with-quagga-mussels.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery"]https://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/2225-three-boats-infested-with-quagga-mussels.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery[/url]
[signature]
They don't have an inspection station at Willard but if you drive by the pay station they usually ask you where the last lake is that you fished. Then depending on where that was they will ask more questions. Also, the North marina does have a decontamination station, you just have to set up a time for them to be there, unless you are lucky to catch them there. They put in the decontamination station last year, it is just East of the restrooms and that rental area that is North of the Ramp.
[signature]
I drive thru the way station at Saint George all the time at all times of the day. Even though there are 2 or 3 well placed signs stating that “all” water craft “must” stop and be inspected,,, I very rarely see the station manned.
[signature]
Very informative subject.
[signature]
You know Blaine, that is exactly what I've heard. I know in Idaho they man their stations at least during daylight hours. Utah don't mind taking our $$ to pay for the program but they seem less willing to do what it takes to inspect the boats coming across our state border[:|]. IMO any boat that makes it across the border or out of Lake Powell and still has mussels attached to it, should receive a hefty fine. We are seeing this more and more and there simply is no good excuse why the state can't do a better job in stopping it, if they are serious about it. When you go across the border intro Wyo all boats must stop and they put a tag on the boat, to show it was inspected, Utah needs to do the same thing, IMO.
[signature]
The news articles on this:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46343810&nid=148

https://www.hjnews.com/news/government/o...378d2.html
[signature]
You can cross into Wyoming after dark and launch at the gorge at first light and never see anyone to inspect your watercraft. The checkpoints need to be manned 24 /7. Along with that hefty fine lets throw in some mandatory time of say 30 days in county for a first offense. We already know that relying on the trust of the public is a waste of time and energy, look at what that trust did to Lake Powell.
[signature]
I agree with manning stations 24/7. Utah residence are paying annually $10 fee when we register our vessels. Wyoming & Idaho does same thing plus they have a nonresident fee of $30 to put their decal on your boat and our state doesn't, this is only one sided. Utah likes the no brainer online test for educating boaters where you have to pass to get a certificate or just fill out the daily on site certification at launch ramp. Education works for some but others either don't have a clue of the importance of prevention or more likely just don't give a damn. With 3 boat inspections revealing AIS makes one wonder how many have slipped by with potential infestation. With the quarantine of these boats at the residence(assuming Utah residence?) what is the follow up of these boats going thru quarantine period? Does DNR make a driveby at these residence checking that the quarantine is still in place? How do they insure the boat doesn't get used during the quarantine period? When crossing state lines such as Wyoming they install a cable with a tag. This should be the route DNR follows if quarantine at residence.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I’ve been saying this for several years now – the Utah AIS program is a complete joke. Because of the total lack of seriousness about the problem by Utah Officials (at ALL agencies), the AIS problem is inevitable in Utah. There is absolutely no way – given the current level of concern by the state – the AIS will be stopped. Slowed down – maybe. Stopped – no way.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The AIS fee added to all registered boats was a major FUBAR by none other than that dimwitted State Senator Scott Jenkins. I sent emails and phone calls his way when he proposed this ludicrous piece of garbage law and notified him about the major shortfalls in it. Fell on deaf ears. His dimwitted mind was made up and his attitude that he is much better at knowing what’s good for the state than us mere citizens who he works for. My state Representative was also contacted and understood the fallacy of dimwit’s legislation, but he couldn’t convince him to change it either. AAAARRRGGH![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]So now, all Utah residents that have REGISTERED watercraft pay an extra $10 that is put into the AIS Program. However, the law that required the fee doesn’t specify how or where the money will be spent; just that it goes into the AIS Program. And unregistered watercraft don’t pay any fee. And non-residents don’t pay a fee for ANY type of watercraft used within the state of Utah.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Am I doing my part to not spread this AIS? Yes, to the very best of my ability. I can’t speak for others, but from the stories like this thread, I can guess that not everybody is as conscientious. So yeah, the AIS problem is here to stay in Utah and coming to a body of water near you – eventually.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
These programs are to educate. I doubt anyone on this forum will spread a mussel. It will happen with a weekend warrior a jet ski or a dope smoking white water enthusiast. It’s gonna happen just a matter of time. When it does we’ll still be charged, the money will just go to another program. These private lakes will have rental water craft or be complete closed. Sad situation. I love the Snake River. I got inspected twice this weekend in Idaho. More than happy to stop and chat.
[signature]
[quote jekern1015]You can cross into Wyoming after dark and launch at the gorge at first light and never see anyone to inspect your watercraft. The checkpoints need to be manned 24 /7. Along with that hefty fine lets throw in some mandatory time of say 30 days in county for a first offense. We already know that relying on the trust of the public is a waste of time and energy, look at what that trust did to Lake Powell.[/quote]
I haven't taken a boat up to the Gorge since their program started but I thought you had to stop at border check station any time day or night. So if you do stop, are you saying they will wave you on?
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]The police officer absolutely dropped the ball. It would have taken very little effort to have his dispatcher contact a DWR officer to come to the scene. The officer could have also required the boater to remain at the scene until the DWR officer arrived to investigate and then take appropriate action.

I would have contacted the police officer's department and discussed the matter with a supervisor. It would have allowed the department to become more aware of the mussel problem and assist with control efforts.

Mike[/quote]
Could not agree with you more Mike about the officer dropping the ball. Not sure if discussing it with his supervisor would have done any good though but since I did not try that approach, I have no way of knowing. Guess I could still make a phone call and talk to someone there and see what happens.
[signature]