Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
I was going to go up to mantua on monday. Does anyone know how thick the ice is up there? Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
I don't think that many people fish Mantua. I have asked for information before and received little responce. Most say that it is slow and hard to fish. DKS
[signature]
One of the reasons it is so slow is because no bait is allowed so that makes catching slow but there have been a few people catching fish there. WH2
[signature]
I fished it a lot last year. We did good over where the water comes in on the south side. We used white curly tails and white marabou jigs. I have drove by there the last few days and there has been a lot of people out there. Good luck.
[signature]
How big were the curly tail grubs for the jigs you were using? Were the people you saw by the inlet? WH2
[signature]
THAT LAKE IS ON THE REBOUND, IT WAS POISONED FOUR YEARS AGO. TO GET RID OF THE CARP OR SOMETHING, IT IS FULL OF SMALLIES, BLUEGILL, AND CRAPPIES NOW, THE DWR MENTIONED THAT LAKE IN OUR MEETING FOR THE TEACH-A-KID TO FISH, SO IT MAY BE SLOW FOR A WHILE. JUST INFO OF COURSE, BUT THE DWR ISNT EXPECTING ANYTHING OUT OF IT FOR ANOTHER YEAR OR SO THEY SAID WHILE THE FISHYS GET ACCLIMATED, THEY HAVE BEEN PLANTED AND IN THERE FOR LAST 2 YEARS.

LATERS,
[signature]
I've never caught a smallie or a crappie out of there, but in the summer I've caught some nice bluegill and decent largemouth. Every once in a while you'll hook a yellow perch or a chub. They also have planted Lampours (spelling?...something liek that) rainbows in there. I've never caught one because I usually target the bluegill and bass.
[signature]
First of all I'm not going to claim I'm an expert on Mantua & it's history. With that said, Mantua was planted with LMB, bluegill & trout after it was poisoned. It was poisoned to get rid of the chubs, but I'm sure a few survived & are now back in the lake. I have heard of a few smallies being caught also, but for the most part, they are LMB. Bucket biologists introduced the perch in there. I caught a perch last year through the ice, and was checked by the DWR, and to his knowledge it was the first perch caught at Mantua. To say the least he was not a happy camper. I did really well on trout for a couple of years after it was poisoned. Since then the trout fishing has been going downhill for me. I've ice fished it once this year, and caught a lot of LMB & perch, but that was it. I tried a bunch of areas & depths, but the results were the same, LMB & perch. Back in the early 80's, when I was going to USU, we would go down there and catch stunted crappie by the bucketfulls. I think Mantua has seen everything over it's life time. The old timers used to catch some huge cutt's out of there, at least that's the story they tell. That was way before my time though. I was hoping Mantua was going to turn into a Daniels or Treasurton, but I don't think it's going to happen.
[signature]
The secretary at work went out with her boyfriend. According to her they caught the state record perch and bass. Asked her what lure they used and all I got out of it was it was a metally thing[unsure]. She said the boyfriend bought the lure at Wal-Mart. I asked her to get it and I would pay her for it[sly]
I went there today. It was a good day got 10-20 bluegill and about 10 bass biggest was 16 in. I got a lot of perch I took my limit of them to try to cut down on them so the bass don't get overrun by them. Does anyone know if the DWR is going to do anything to get the perch out of there?

Fishkid
[signature]
[#800080][size 2] Once perch get in you can't get them out, unless you drain the lake.[/size][/#800080]

[#800080][size 2] Mantua has Kamaloop Rainbows, Largemouth bass, Bluegills, Crapie, and Perch. [/size][/#800080]
[signature]
What area were you fishing? I saw a few guys by the boat ramp and a few more north of the ramp but most of the people were in the area north of the inlet. WH2
[signature]
I was fishing by the boat ramp to about 10 then I moved by the inlet. Where were you?

Fishkid
[signature]
We saw you there when we drove by to leave, we were fishing by the inlet but after two hours and no fish we gave up and went to Willard. Did you catch most your fish by the boat ramp? WH2
[signature]
I caught all of my fish over by the inlet. I only had 2 bites over by the boat ramp. The fishing started picking up about 10:00 I left around 3:00 and they were still biting. Did you get anything at Willard?

Fishkid
[signature]
No fish at Willard either it just wasn't a good day for us.
It sounds like we left too early at Mantua. How deep were you fishing by the inlet? WH2
[signature]
I was fishing in about 10 feet.

Fishkid
[signature]
That might have been the problem, we were only in 6 or 7 foot of water. Oh well, there is always next time. Thanks for the info. WH2
[signature]
You're welcome, good luck next time.

Fishkid
[signature]
I just thought about something, were you using a strike indicator? I made the mistake of leaving mine at home, if I did get any bites I would have never known it. WH2
[signature]