Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father's Day Adventure
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Once again, the Hicks crew (us, kids, & grandkids) assembled at Hyrum State Park for our annual Father’s Day reunion. Relaxing, enjoying the family, and fishing were on the menu. My bride and I went up on Thursday afternoon and I made a couple loops around the lake on Friday morning and got 6 nice, chunky rainbows to the net in about 3 hours. The power squadron showed up early and showed their ignorance of the law and their total lack of courtesy towards anybody else. Twice, in less than 30 minutes, wake boats crossed directly in front of my line of travel. And both times, lost their towed passenger directly in my line of travel. Both of the dumped skiers were 30 feet or less from my boat.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Saturday, we headed up to Porcupine to avoid the power squadron and possibly catch some kokanee. We only managed to put 7 kokanee in the cooler. We lost about 6 to 8 more before we could get them in the net. None of those netted were over 11 inches. We fished from about 7;30 AM until 2:00 PM. I launched my 20 foot ThunderJet from the rear launch (hard sand beach) with no problems at all. The dirt road from the base of the dam to that launch was a 25 minute at 5 mph or less.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Sunday morning saw us back on Hyrum at 6:30 AM. Discovered immediately that I had a problem with my 24 vdc electric trolling motor was not working properly and we had to steer with the steering wheel. I’ll find out today for sure, but I think one of the batteries (Centennial - 3rd failure in less than a year) that came with the new boat last year is toast. My 2-bank, on-board charger shows a red trouble status light on for battery 1. Bummer![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]We did mange to net about 8 or 9 trout with the largest weighing 3.0 pounds even. We kept 2. Since this was exit day, we stopped fishing at 11:00 AM and returned to camp for some super delicious burritos cooked up by my daughters. After that, all the dads got cards and gifts from the kids/grandkids. Then we all packed it up and headed home.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Already looking forward to next year.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob, sounds like a fun time... Glad you got some fish and a few nice ones too... I guess I haven't been over thinning them out at Hyrum so you got a few good fish... yah like I have an effect on fish numbers??? Anyway other than a few hick ups sounds like a great trip... I think that power squadron is what usually chases me from trout to catfish each year, but this year the contest got going strong early so I missed my spring trout fun.... but the cats have been a blast too, so it's all good... It's great to have so many fun places to fish, just wish I had more time to get out and enjoy it... Glad you were able to do that with the family, makes it that much sweeter... thanks for sharing the report... J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] "The dirt road from the base of the damn to that launch was a 25 minute at 5 mph or less."[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]The "damn" what? Thought you were above misusing homonyms. To - two - too funny.[/#0000FF][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]
[/#0000FF][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]Glad you had a nice day on the water with the family. [/#0000FF]
[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] "The dirt road from the base of the damn to that launch was a 25 minute at 5 mph or less."[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]The "damn" what? Thought you were above misusing homonyms. To - two - too funny.[/#0000FF][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]
[/#0000FF][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][#0000FF]Glad you had a nice day on the water with the family. [/#0000FF]
[/#800000][/font][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]DAMN! I hate when that happens. [Wink][/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Hey Bob, sounds like a great Fathers Day. 2 of my sons and I used to make an annual trip to Hyrum every year for a weekend in August. Last year was the last of those. Too much work for me, and boys getting more difficult to get the same weekend off of their jobs. Your son-in-law said he was going to be there when I saw him last Friday. Did he catch anything?
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Both sons-in-law caught fish on both days we fished. [cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for the report Dubob. My son and I were also at Porqupine Saturday morning and had similar results as you. Only brought home 6 Kokes with none over 11”. My 9 year old son was the angler and he also had a lot of fish come unbuttoned. We stopped by Hyrum Saturday afternoon and attempted to fish fish with the power squadron in full force. Managed a couple bows before calling it a day.
[signature]
[quote sliverslinger]My son and I were also at Porqupine Saturday morning and had similar results as you.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm guessing you were in the brown Lund.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
That is correct. You have a nice boat. Glad you were able to get out on the water.
[signature]