Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry 6/14
A couple of buddies from school scheduled a day off for last Thursday so we could do some flyfishing. The original plan was Wyoming, but with high winds we decided to spend an evening at Strawberry instead. We ended up working for the day and starting fishing around 6:30. There were some chironomids around but only one other fisherman, and no obvious activity. I was surprised when i took a fish relatively quickly on a size 4 slumpbuster (black and silver). About half an hour later, I saw my friend's rod double over and knew he was into a good fish. He measured it at 24", but never got it completely straight. So with more time and some creative tail pinching, this fish might have been pressed into 24.5 or maybe 25". It was a new personal best for him on cutthroat. Taken on a size 6 olive and black woolly bugger on a full type 3 sinking line.

We ended up with 7 fish between two of us--one on top in the evening but otherwise streamer fishing.

A big shout out to Joe_Dizzy, whose report tipped me off that Strawberry might be a good backup plan this week. I also followed his report's advice and found the same things: streamers did better than chironomid patterns, and fish on top were tough to catch. With a couple of young kids, this was my friend's first day flyfishing this year, so it was great to make the most of it.

Surface temperature was 56 degrees in the afternoon.
[signature]
Sounds like a blast. Thanks for the report. BTW the most overlooked color for strawberry is Purple. Purple Show Girl or a black and purple wooly bugger.
[signature]
Great report, thanks... J
[signature]
Gorgeous Cutthroat... what a catch!
[signature]