Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Swimmer's Itch Parasites
I fished Mantua Saturday. The bluegill and one little bass we caught were infested with those black dot parasites. A trout I caught was fine. Maybe it was a recent planter. I was disgusted because I was really looking forward to eatting bluegill, but won't eat them if they are full of parasites. I know they are supposed to be harmess when cooked, but I don't care.
[signature]
I don't doubt there might be some sort of parasite affecting the bluegill, but it isn't likely to be swimmers itch. That is a parasite that targets specific birds and mammals rather than fish.
This is from the CDC website:
Swimmer’s itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water (such as lakes, ponds, and oceans). While the parasite’s preferred host is the specific bird or mammal, if the parasite comes into contact with a swimmer, it burrows into the skin causing an allergic reaction and rash. Swimmer’s itch is found throughout the world and is more frequent during summer months.
[signature]
I thought I read somewhere that part of that parasites life cycle was in fish. I could be wrong.
[signature]
I guess I assumed the parasites I saw in the bluegill were swimmer's itch parasites because I saw the sign at Mantua warning of swimmers itch and also read the following about the black dot parasites (which match what I saw in my fish) stating that they also live in birds and snails as parts of their life cycle. That made me think maybe the black dot parasites were the same as the summer's itch parasites. Maybe I made too big of an assumption.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/image_gall...ge_id=1806

"Black Spot Disease" is caused by a parasite that has a two-host life cycle with fish as one of those hosts. In fish, it appears as small black specks under the skin and in the muscle which are visible during filleting.

Life cycle:
Adult worms live in the gut of fish-eating birds. Eggs are released from bird feces into the water and are eaten by snails. Then the parasite matures into a free-swimming stage that eventually leaves the snail. This is the infective stage for fish that penetrates the skin and burrows into the flesh, where it remains (as the black spot) until the infected fish are eaten by birds and the life cycle begins again.

Are infected fish safe to eat?
Yes, although unattractive, the fillet is safe for human consumption after it has been thoroughly cooked.
[signature]
Thanks for a great report -- facts and knowledge should help anyone make good decisions....in this case, as related to fishing for, or whether or not to eat, certain infected fish.....kinda like the 'Rice Breast Disease' in some ducks....start cleaning them, you just lose your appetite.....NOW....if we could be more scientifically educated about our potential politicians!!! ... anyhow, thanks for good info on these parasites....Guluk...
[signature]
Thank you for the additional info. It is good to know they are safe to eat, however unappetizing they may appear.

I learn something new every day if I'm not careful.
[signature]