Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard walleye status
[#0000FF]A respected member of BFT and an acknowledged walleye warrior made a post on the premium board, expressing disappointment with the seemingly low numbers of walleyes showing up in Willard this year. I posed the question to Chris Penne (DWR) about their findings...along with my observations of huge shadlet schools already. Here is his response. Thanks Chris.[/#0000FF]

Good question. As of our last sample in the fall and the spring walleye spawn, all indications are there is plenty of opportunity for walleye still in Willard and that things should even get better if big year class of young walleye last year recruited. I've just seen a lot of conflicting fishing reports this year and I think a lot of that has to do with the new water levels. During the four years water was down, the fish populations were more concentrated and it was easier to run a lure by fish. Now that the water is up, fish have a lot more room to roam and they are more spread out and they are better fed. Some anglers are doing pretty well adapting to the new conditions and others have either not had the luck or figured out the right techniques and location. One of my office colleagues is usually out hitting Pineview for muskie during the late spring, but I couldn't keep him away from Willard in May and June because he kept limiting out on walleye during each trip and was catching wipers and catfish as well. He caught multiple year classes/sizes of walleye and was throwing back the smaller ones (13-15") and was able to repeat his success for several weeks until switched to chasing some kokanee. I've seen some pretty positive reports online as well, but I've also seen some rough trips and reports of limited success. Besides water level, it may be that people are going to have to adjust their expectations. While my colleague did well this year, he also did great during the drought years too. I don't think people will have or can expect the same kind of success that they had during those drought years until the predators (wipers, walleye and even cats) have either had time to expand their populations to fit the increased water volume available to them or until we see more drought. Unfortunately the problem with drought is that it's hot fishing for a few years while the fish are concentrated and then fish populations decline to fit their environment.

As for the shad, I think that all comes back to the increased water levels and fish populations expanding to fit their environment. There is no other species in Willard that is more capable of expanding their population rapidly than the gizzard shad. I'm hoping we won't have another shad boom this year, but I would not be surprised if it happens while the predators are catching up. The big walleye year class we had last year might be able to slow those shad down and we increased our wiper fry stocking this year to try to take advantage of the increased water, habitat and forage. I'm hoping we can get a good stocking of wiper fingerlings this summer as well to keep on top of the shad, but we are always at the whim of mother nature when it comes to how much success we have raising the wiper fry to the fingerling stage before they are stocked into Willard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get a good batch of fish to stock.

I hope that answers the questions. I'm not sure it is enough to let the guy sleep better at night, but it's at least perspective on what is going on.

Chris
[signature]
Good read there and it all makes perfect, logical sense.

One thing I wonder about is why more people don't fish for them at night? All the walleye lakes in WY this time of year.... there are guys out fishing for walleyes at night. It is no secret they like to feed at night, and in my experience even more so in the summer? At my local walleye lake the fish have really switched over to the night bite in the last month or so.

Why are there no reports of people fishing walleyes at night in Utah? I doubt it is because those who do, don't post reports about it. Maybe. Seems to me like trolling rattle traps, cranks, swimbaits, etc in shallower water along the dikes at night would produce some walleye. Maybe I'm crazy.[Tongue]
[signature]
I hate to say it but I've tried fishing for them at night but do not have the skills I guess or nolage to be good at it!!

Also I would like to know what the survival odds are of the 600k walleye fry they planted in Wiilard as I've seen wipers full of them to a point they was puking them out when I would catch them a few weeks ago.

I think the D.W.R has done a really good job in Utah when you stop and think about the numbers of people out there fishing!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I suspect more Willardites do not hit the lake after dark because of the stupid gates and the greedy rules that make you have to pay a camping fee if you stay late. Too much hassle.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I assure you that in the "olden days" a lot of wallie chasers did not even get on the water until almost dark anytime after about mid June. I used to drive in through the open gate about 2 in the morning and fish until 9 or 10. In those days the main forage species was crappies and they stayed near the dikes. So casting Thin Fins or plastics along the dikes usually produced a lot of action...until the sun got too high and the walleyes went to bed for the day.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have fished walleyes in several parts of the country and night fishing during the summer is usually the accepted pattern...except where water temps stay cooler in the summer.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
GATES! [fishon] I have not targeted walleye but have ended up with 3-5 on most trips. I am sure that # would be much higher if I did night fishing.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]I suspect more Willardites do not hit the lake after dark because of the stupid gates and the greedy rules that make you have to pay a camping fee if you stay late. Too much hassle.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I assure you that in the "olden days" a lot of wallie chasers did not even get on the water until almost dark anytime after about mid June. I used to drive in through the open gate about 2 in the morning and fish until 9 or 10. In those days the main forage species was crappies and they stayed near the dikes. So casting Thin Fins or plastics along the dikes usually produced a lot of action...until the sun got too high and the walleyes went to bed for the day.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have fished walleyes in several parts of the country and night fishing during the summer is usually the accepted pattern...except where water temps stay cooler in the summer.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

That makes sense with the gates. Shame the access is like that at Willard.

I actually have done well at night all year for eyes Spring, summer, fall and winter... but it sure is more fun and enjoyable in the summer when your hands don't freeze in 5 minutes. I think one big thing is a lot of hot summer days there is no wind... and the eyes never get a dirty/colored water to hunt in during the day from wind action. So they really turn on when it gets dark and they gain their sensory advantage and haven't had the chance to feed during the day.

Only one lake in WY I fish regularly with shad and once they spawn in late July or so the bite can be tough day or night. With all the shad right now in Willard maybe night fishing wouldn't be a whole lot better than day fishing anyhow.
[signature]
Doesn't take any special skills or knowledge really. They just are very capable predators and often use the darkness of night to their advantage. I wouldn't say I'm am expert or anything but I've spent countless hours fishing for them at night. For me, it is equal parts that they bite good and that I don't have to deal with other people. Even the busiest lakes really quiet down after dark when everyone goes home.

In general it seems like they push closer to the shorelines. They seem to come up off the bottom more too at night. In the day they usually sit close to the bottom unless they are chasing baitfish... but at night, they might cruise 5 feet off the bottom in say 10' of water.

Rattle traps work really well. Jerkbaits, crankbaits, too. Anything that puts off some vibration or flash (both!). Although anymore I prefer a 3-4" swimbait over lures... less likely to snag them and not as expensive if you do.

Good luck if you try it. It is worth fishing them at night for the peace and quiet alone.
[signature]
"In general it seems like they push closer to the shorelines. They seem to come up off the bottom more too at night. In the day they usually sit close to the bottom unless they are chasing baitfish... but at night, they might cruise 5 feet off the bottom in say 10' of water."

[#0000ff]Spot on. I am attaching a couple of pics from the past on nighttime Willard wallies. I had nights of 30 to 40 walleyes...plus some cats and a few crappies. One pic is of the few fish I kept on one such night. Limit on walleyes was 6 fish...with only 2 over 20 inches...and it was often tough to find any under 20 inches. These days it is often tough to find many over 20 inches.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][inline "WILLARD NIGHT TUBIN.JPG"]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] The second pic is of a nighttime trip with my old fishing buddy Rick Johnson...where we both caught grundles and kept limits within the allowable size ranges...releasing quite a few bigger ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][inline "WILLARD NIGHT EYES.jpg"]
[/#0000ff] [#0000ff]To support your statements about them moving in close to the rocks after dark...and hitting in shallower water...I had many hits within a second or two of my lure splashing down right next to the rocks. And there were times when you either got hit within the first few seconds of the cast...or not at all. About the only fish we caught away from the rocks were catfish. But in those days there were cats up to 15-20 pounds. 5-10 pounders were common.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, oh yeah, the gates were open 24/7. And the annual permit was only about $20. And the fish cleaning facilities were open almost all year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whimper...whine.[/#0000ff]
[signature]