Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Scotty Glue-on Mounting Pads
After a few years with my Scadden Renegade, two glue-on mounting pads that I had put on (one for a rod holder, and one for a triple rod holder) have started to peel off and weaken.

I intend to remove the pads, lightly scuff up the areas and attach new pads.

What's the best way to remove the old pads? Hair dryer? Hot, nearly boiling water?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have had experience installing a few add-ons with those specialty glues. But never had to remove one. I am guessing that it will take more than heat to get it done. You might use a low setting on a heat gun on one small area to see if it will do the job without damaging the underlying surface. Go slow and be careful.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]My suggestion would be to try to find a website for the glue manufacturer and see if they have instructions for removal. Most of those things are almost a chemical bond once they cure. That will require some careful abrasive (sanding) action until you get down to a stable and smooth base for attaching the new pads.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What is the surface it is stuck to......fiberglass or aluminum ? A heat gun, type used to shrink electrical heat shrink, works well, but if fiberglass, be VERY careful not to get the heat too close for too long. Keep the gun moving, about 6 inches above the surface, use a plastic scraper to start lifting as the adhesive softens. when the pads are off, recommend using some Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue.

Worked for Bayliner in Georgia and that was how we removed fiberglass mold pads from the rotating mold racks.

Be careful, take your time. Good luck
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]We're talking about a pontoon here...with a PVC coated fabric air chamber. Touchy stuff.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ahh, ok..........my mistake. [unimpressed]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]I did a little online research. Try entering "removing Hypalon patches"...or similar. [url "http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/9731-Removing-glued-on-items"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a thread on another website that might be useful.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Tube Dude,

Thanks. That link is of great value. This is going to be more difficult than I thought, but I will be very, very careful. Appreciate your help very much.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Let us know how it goes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One suggestion for future installations is to be sure you thoroughly prep both the surface of the air chamber and the patch to be glued before installing. And after installation be sure to use a good roller...on a hard surface...to push out toward the edges to remove all bubbles and to get maximum adhesion. It pays to spend some time doing it right.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'll certainly report back when I have finished. I got the pads off, have ordered and received new pads. I ordered some Clifton's Urethane Adhesive, but it hasn't arrived yet. Will get on with the project when I got this glue.
[signature]
I got lucky. The old glue-on mount pads came off pretty easily. Dave Scadden had once recommended using Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive to glue on D rings. I used it for the Scotty mounting pads, and it just wasn't the right adhesive for that application.

I got the pads off, properly prepared both surfaces and attached the pads using Clifton Urethane Adhesive. They are solidly on my Renegade now. Thanks to everyone, and especially Tube Dude, for the great advice.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the feedback.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad your project went smoothly. Hope the new installs work better for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good to know. Got to say, I am on year 5 for one boat and 6 on the other, glue ons still holding strong. Loctite. Like TD suggested, I coat both surfaces, let it get tacky, then apply. I put weights on the glue ons for at least 12 hours.
[signature]