Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Friday Morning
Had a great morning of bank tangling perch, trout and bass using double 1/16 oz jigs with Mr crappie plastic minnows and a slip bobber varying between 7 and 15 feet of slip. Fished off the rocks near the dam. Caught 1 bass around 8 am, 1 17 inch trout around 8:45 and somewhere around 30 7 to 9 inch perch sometimes doubles keeping only 12 for dinner. A piece of worm attracted them but were successful at slurping it off without getting hooked the perch eyes worked better.
[signature]
Hey LipnRip -- glad you're still out there checking on Echo....I haven't been there since Winter ice....how's the State Park system working there for you? Hope some of those perch grow up for this next ice season...Guluk...
[signature]
I honestly haven't been in the park since they opened. Mainly due to the fact my state park pass expired in May. But the fishing recently has been good but the water level is dropping fast. Yesterday was the first I had targeted perch this summer and they are very healthy for there size.
[signature]
Can't say I've ever heard of anyone targeting the perch from shore like that and it seems that perch can be such light biters at times that I'm surprise you can see them biting. So let me see if I understand correctly, the jigs with Mr crappie plastic minnow, is sitting on the bottom? If it is suspended, do you have any idea how far off the bottom it was hanging? If you were only fishing it 7 to 15 feet deep and as steep as that shore is there by the dam, you could not have been fishing too far from shore, at least for the perch. Nice report, thanks for sharing with us.
[signature]
These plastic minnows are actually called lightning shad 2" in length. No the jigs aren't sitting on the bottom they are suspended. These perch were sometimes finicky where others were crushing these jigs. I tie a swivel, a leader, then a splitter line off the main leader one end about a foot to 18" longer then the other. The longer of the two ends is always attached to a jig to act as the dropper. Sometimes the other line is just a hook with a plastic so the sink rate varries the slower sinking causes a swimming action while the jig drops looking like feeding minnows. Even while using 2 jigs this action somewhat occurs while rising and sinking when moving the slip bobber. The best way to simulate this I have found is with paddle bugs. I was fishing over submerged brush between the state park and the damn on the rocks. It is a very fast drop. The only way I could use this set up effectively with such a long leader and casting out is with an 11' crappie rod and keeping constant taughtness on my line. I had a friend fishing with me and caught zero perch and 1 bass who got extremely disgusted when I reeled in a double of perch.
[signature]
I can understand your friend being extremely disgusted with your success, you were pulling off a rare feat, that most of us have yet to master. I'll have to check into those
lightning shad, thanks for the info.
Is this what you were using:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/strike-k...soft-baits
By the way, what pound leader were you using?
[signature]
Yes those are the body style. But I lied about the maker. I have too many plastics. They are actually made by Ar kit and are called sexeee tail shad. Bought them for .25 cents per 8 pk on clearance at a Wal-Mart. The actual color I was using is silver belly dark blue back with chartreuse glitter tail. Another technique which is just as effective is using a water bubble full the slow sinking and the free sliding line makes it much easier to detect bites.
[signature]
You can get some great deals at Walmart, especially when the season is over and they are trying to get rid of stuff that did not sell during the season.
I bet I could vertical jig there and catch some too and since there are walleye in there, you never know what I might catch, thanks for the helpful info.
[signature]