Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the 4th
With some of Utah Lake either closed by algae or under a warning, or too shallow in the channel at Lincoln Beach, the 90 mile or so trip just wasn't reasonable. Was almost ready to hit the Bear River last nite but the winds and threat of rain nixed that idea also. [Sad]

So settled for a trip to the river this morning just as it was getting full light. Went all the way to the lower gates and started between the irrigation gate and the "No Fishing" sign at the start of the Auto Tour loop. Water level is up a bit from last week, but still low. Had 3 rapid fire hits - all Mud Cats - [mad]

Moved up to the boat ramp area. Fewer skeeters, nice breeze, 2 other couples on the water in small boats. Landed one of the Channel Cats out of the "nursery hole" [:/]

Moved to one other spot......nada.

Took the back road along the river to the Corrine City boat ramp. Was surprised there wasn't another soul anywhere along that area when I got there. Water level way down from last time I was there. Put out 2 lines with worms. Not there but about 15 minutes and one reel started singing my favorite song...............[bobsurprised] Thought, hoped, it was at least a Carp I could replenish my cut bail stock.............nope. Junior sized Channel Cat. But getting that kitty up the bank was almost my undoing. At the bottom of the bank it got stuck in the concrete debris. I tried to side step down the bank and missed a step. Did the remaining few feet on my butt. But I got the fish and myself back up the bank without me getting wet or skewered by the pieces of rebar sticking out of the concrete. The fish got a fresh coat of dry grass, but was released otherwise no worse for the ordeal.

Noticed a vehicle at the ramp as I was leaving. Looked to be launching a couple wave runners. Geeeezzzeee, can't get away from those machines even on a shallow river.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Been really slow around the refuge Forest. other than the fish I got on July 1st it has mostly been skunksville for me. seen reeltree and his family out on the 3rd his little girl caught a nice 28"er I called it a night about 11:30 couldn't keep me eyes open. stayed home for the 4th. Went yesterday just to fry the last of the few brain cell I have left. dang it was HOT!! caught a little 20" in that channel that they still have running. I'm thinking its the same one you tried. The carp minnows are starting to show up got a few in the castnet. went back last night gave the minnows a try not even a nibble.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Thanks for the report, Tin-Can. I always enjoy your detailed reports, even when it's not about places that I regularly fish. I hope to make it up that way sometime. I had to Smile when you described how you almost went in while trying to land that fish. You don't know how many times lately I've almost done the same thing.

Looks like your vacation is about over -- sure hope you had a fun time. And don't be afraid to come back down to Utah Lake sometime; there's still good fishing to be had. Mooseman and I are going tonight and will post how we did.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yep, been slow for sure John. But just could not stay home all day. Can't seem to make it to the river at night. Been an early morning person for over 45 years. Military caused that...........[:/] but now I don't stay awake past about 9 P.M. (2100) and when I'm working, I'm up by 3 A.M. (0300). Maybe when the weather cools off again, the big cats will come back out of hiding in the mornings.
[fishin]
[signature]

Cool
Quote:I had to Smile when you described how you almost went in while trying to land that fish. You don't know how many times lately I've almost done the same thing.

If it had just been a case of getting wet, I wouldn't have minded too much. But that bank is steep, with broken concrete, rebar, other such scrap that could cause serious injury.

[inline (0126).jpg]

If my wife had been with me she would have really given me "what for" for risking injury for a silly Cat Fish. (as much as she likes to catch them too) [Wink]

Yep, vacation ends Sunday. Back to the USAF salt mines Monday, and back to only being able to fish on weekends.......[mad]

May try to make another trip to UL, if the water level stays launchable ( at least 2 feet, preferably 3+). The algae never bothered me. Seen it before, even at Willard Bay a couple times. And I would NEVER go where " the UL scum" are [laugh]

Good luck to you and Moose
[signature]

Cool