Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a Strawberry Tiger? And wildfire update
Caught this today over by Renegade. Definitely has Tiger patterns but the rest of it looks more like a cutthroat. It doesn’t have all the same features as a Tiger.

As for the rest of the day, we had 3 people on our boat and caught 29 cutthroats and 1 rainbow vertical jigging. Tried trolling a flasher and pink squid for an hour between 35-60 feet and didn’t get any kokes. Still have never caught a koke. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Ventured over to the Soldier Creek side to take a peek at the fires. Helicopters and planes were going non stop. The fire is still out of control.
[signature]
Video of the fire
[signature]
Not really sure what that is, perhaps just a color/pattern variant cutthroat.
[signature]
I have got some like that fishing for kokanee
I didn't see them like that last year that I remember

if you are fishing for koke in Renegade there is not a lot there

you need to start early for them sometimes they shut down at 9AM
tell me where you are fishing and how you fish for kokes maybe I can help

if you have a fishfinder you can tell how deep to put your downrigger.

do you no How To Find the Thermocline On Your Sonar Fishfinder google this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...7ttgrepR50
https://www.catfishedge.com/thermocline-fishfinder/
[signature]
Tiger? That looks more like a leopard pattern, to me! [laugh]

Seriously, though...that is weird! It's EXACTLY like a leopard pattern, on the mammal feline. Nature is fascinating.
[signature]
looks like a little muledeer ran all over it lol. it's cool for sure and definitely a cutthroat...
[signature]
I was on the water early this morning. I caught several cutts from 5:15 - 6:00. Boated the first koke at 6:05 and had pretty steady action on pink squid at 37' and 41' until 9:15. All told we boated 11 Kokanee during that two hour window and then it shut down. Also landed a beautiful 25" cutt that was sent back to eat Chubbs.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

i have caught a few like that ,i think they are tigers but i wouldn't keep any of those be cause they have cutt throat markings.and any fish with cutt markings are considered cutts by the law .
[signature]
robert all fish stop biting when you pull your boat out of the water and go home . [Wink]
[signature]
funny
[signature]
No, it is not a tiger. It is a cutthroat with a very unique spotting pattern. Cool fish for sure.
[signature]
i believe it is a tiger trout there are many strains . its not a cutt because it has spots all the way to its nose tigers have orange fins spots to the nose and a jaw like a cut ,check out this tiger i borrowed from fb
[signature]
I have no doubt it's a cutthroat and I've seen lots of cutthroat with markings or spots up to there nose in fact most of the cutthroat out of Strawberry have spots all the way to the nose.
[signature]
do you think i just started fishing strawberry yesterday , i've caught so many cutts i when i close my eyes that's all i see .these fish are not typical for a cutt in any way. one of the main ways to tell a cutt from other fish is the lack of spots on there heads . there have been tigers planted in strawberry in the pas t and are showing up this year . just sayin
[signature]
sorry to question you about the species.

Saying that it's not a cut due to having spots on the head is NOT a good way to decide.

You have probably caught many more fish at Strawberry then I have but I've been on a few netting with the DWR at Strawberry Res and have seen a few.

Also I've learned something I was under the impression they never planted tiger trout in Strawberry and never seen one in a test sample.
[signature]
i 'm sorry i i was kind of a jerk on my last post . i honestly don't know for sure what kind of fish that is but ,unlike the pics you provided the odd fish has heavy consistent spots the cutts you show have heavy spots on the tails and lighter spots on the head ,i am Confused about the pectoral fin color orange screams cutt throat . odd for sure , your probably right though
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]

there have been tigers planted in strawberry in the pas t and are showing up this year .

[/quote]

I can find no record of tiger trout ever being planted in Strawberry (I wish they would plant them, but I doubt they ever will. Too many anglers can't tell a cutt from a rainbow, so no need to complicate it even further by adding another species.). I know some tigers have been caught in Strawberry, especially around The Ladders. Undoubtedly, some tigers travel through the mountain tunnel, from Currant Creek, and enter Strawberry by way of The Ladders.
[signature]
i read a dwr website a few years ago that said they had planted small numbers of tigers in strawberry . that doesn't mean i'm right about it though
[signature]
I just sent an email to the source to get an answer for sure.
[signature]