Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hot Saturday in July
Just a couple short videos from Saturday.

https://youtu.be/Kk7B7Xe70zs

https://youtu.be/RczhLwvV9V0
[signature]
Thanks so much for sharing. That place is on my hit list just can't seem to get down there haha
[signature]
Awesome, I have always wanted to get down there but some other water always pulled me away, thanks for the videos.
[signature]
Nice videos. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful fish.
[signature]
Can I ask what fly/flies you were having success on? My brother and I will likely be stopping in the area tomorrow
[signature]
Heppy,
Repeat after me
“Southern Utah is a bleak desert. Fish are only in reservoirs and high mountain lakes south of Interstate 70”

Just don’t give out all the streams of the east and west side of the Pine Mountains that contain trout as well. Tell your Dad there are those that still appreciate his work there.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]

Just don’t give out all the streams of the east and west side of the Pine Mountains that contain trout as well. Tell your Dad there are those that still appreciate his work there.[/quote]

One of my fondest memories as a child was packing in to a stream in the Wilderness area to collect fish. We had a horse to pack the gear in, and pack the fish out. We were moving them from the west side to a stream on the east side. It wasn't easy. The horse only freaked out and ran off, spilling all the gear, once on the way in.

Knowing that those fish, native bonneville cutthroat, continue to thrive in those streams today is pretty cool. And, knowing that those streams are in the Colorado River drainage makes them just that much more special. Yes, native Bonneville's found naturally in a Colorado drainage. Explained through historical geological events. That's pretty cool.

It's also cool to know that it didn't end with Dad. Richard continues to be a good steward:
http://kutv.com/news/local/biologists-re...alley-fire
[signature]
[quote RSLNick]Can I ask what fly/flies you were having success on? My brother and I will likely be stopping in the area tomorrow[/quote]

Success is a matter of perspective! Fishing was not easy for us that day. We had to work very hard for those few fish we ended up with.

I used a hopper / dropper combo.
Dad was using a bugger.

We saw very few fish hitting the surface, even with an abundance of hopper activity. The snakes, however, were taking advantage of the hoppers! [shocked]
[signature]
My guess is your Dad outfished you. I usually find hoppers need to be out in numbers for at least a few weeks before trout reliable key in on them. I’ve never caught anything under 14 inches in there on a streamer and there are times that’s all I use.
I’ll have to hit S. Ash after those Bonnie’s are put back in there.Glad to see someone taking good care of the fishery.
Now does this tree in the attached picture look familiar? Just wondering if you put those Bonnie’s into the stream next to it all those years ago?
[signature]
Yes. i know that tree. And, yes, all those years ago after chasing down the horse, we loaded it up with fish and packed them down the mountain to a waiting truck. Then we drove around the mountain and up the other side, to that sequoia and dumped those bonnies in that stream.

I'll never forget that trip.
[signature]