Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Hot Dusty Days at The Gorge
I spent an exhausting weekend at the Gorge, with the family, camped near anvil. This was my first time there, It took me until the last morning, but I did finally get into some nice kokanee. We left from Roy after work Thursday night pulling doubles, my new 27ft. camp trailer and my old 16ft. Smoker Craft, we arrived at the Anvil boat ramp around midnight parked there for the night and got to sleep at 1 am after changing a flat on the truck. My nephew and I got up at 5:30 am launched the boat and ran up to the Ranch house, put out our lines and 5 minutes later had a small 12" kokanee, which swam away in good shape, at this point I was thinking we are going to have a productive day, that was our last kokanee until Sunday morning. We caught a number of lake trout pups and 1 24" rainbow that morning, at 9:30am we went back in collected the family located a good spot on the beach and set up camp, then spent the rest of the afternoon and evening trying to bolster me strength for the next day, I say this because I had come down with a virus a few days earlier and I was still feverish and to make it worse my mouth is full of fever blisters and I have not been able to eat solid food for a few days so my energy level is really low. The next morning we went south to the pipeline where I have never marked so many fish and there was a bunch of boats, it looked like the crowd at Strawberry. The fish had lock jaw, I saw one fish boated while I was there, we stayed until 9:00am when I had to head back to camp to gather the family for a day of boating, swimming and picnicking around Kingfisher Island south of Lucerne. Sunday morning we finally found the fish at Squaw Hollow north of Brinager's Ranch at 43' going 1.8 mph on pink squid and dodgers my nephew and I got 5 kokanee and 3 pups before we had to get back to camp to pack up and leave. I want to go back when I feel better and explore some more of that big beautiful lake.
[signature]
There is a definite learning curve to the gorge, we get up there about 5 trips each year and still have to figure them out every time. Hope you feel better soon and go back up and slay them!
[signature]