Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminum Boat Rod Holders
For those of you running aluminum boats whether it be a jon boat or a v hull, what have you done for rod holders? I tried the clamp on kind from sportsmans and the mounting bracket wasn't deep enough to fit over the tube on the top of the boat. I've come up with an idea to run an aluminum block behind the scotty mounting plate before bolting it to the sides of the boat but I was curious what other people have done. Thank you!
[signature]
Here is what i had on my old boat. They were u bolts from the hardware store. It was a fiberglass boat so i dont know how different it would be. But this was the simplest solution i could come up with.
[signature]
For my 14' Lund, I cut a piece of 1/2" Trex decking slightly larger than the base of my rod holders. At the same places the rod holders have mount holes, I drilled thru the top of the boat hull, and the Trex, just below the gunwale rail. Placed the Trex on the inside, stainless bolt with large washer on outside thru the 4 holes, stainless washer and fiber lock nut on inside. Using the Trex gives an additional thickness to the metal so it doesn't "oil pan" and the Trex won't rot like. Had those on my boat since 2007. Never a problem.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
This is what I ended up doing.
[signature]
That looks great. Should just about any fish.

[inline "(07) Bow to stern starboard side.JPG"]

Can't see the Trex under the holder in this one.
But you can see it a bit better on the ones I mounted on the stern deck.

[inline "(070) rod holder mount.jpg"]

Shouldn't have to worry about that Trex rotting out.

Did similar on my trailer bunks and side guides.

[inline 180308_003.jpg]

Above photo was from this past spring (March) had just replace the carpet on the left (as looking at it) side bunk and guide. With the bunks done with Trex 2x4, never have to replace the bunk, just add a new carpet wrap every couple years.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thank you its an odd feeling drilling holes in something that's not supposed to have holes it in haha
[signature]
Not sure if anyone has done it already but you could try that extra strong two part bonding epoxy.[Wink]
[signature]