Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I drive this thing lol
Well I said I would let ya know how my first trip on my new float tube was, let me just say ,I really glad no one brought a camera LOL. But I must admit I learned a lot
1. dont launch in a 100 yd of weedbeds
2. float tubes and white caps do not mix
3. wind can be a tubers worse nightmare

overall it was a very funny site
one thing I could not figure out was how to turn 360 degrees with my fins. Now First I must admit I got snorkel fins (should have seen me trying to put the tube in the water while wearing fins) anyway the first thing I did when I got home was order a pair of float tube fins I can wear with sneakers or wader boots I notice they are shorter and wider.
Do the fins make a difference in how easy it is to maneuver? Is there a easy way to move from left to right and position my self for easier fishing?

Im sure the more I go the better I will get, but I am will to take any and all advice

Thx
[signature]
[quote Savvage61]Well I said I would let ya know how my first trip on my new float tube was, let me just say ,I really glad no one brought a camera LOL. But I must admit I learned a lot
1. dont launch in a 100 yd of weedbeds
2. float tubes and white caps do not mix
3. wind can be a tubers worse nightmare

PM Launch into wind and travel near shore on wind protected side, coast back on wind power when tired.

overall it was a very funny site
one thing I could not figure out was how to turn 360 degrees with my fins. Now First I must admit I got snorkel fins (should have seen me trying to put the tube in the water while wearing fins) anyway the first thing I did when I got home was order a pair of float tube fins I can wear with sneakers or wader boots I notice they are shorter and wider.
Do the fins make a difference in how easy it is to maneuver? Is there a easy way to move from left to right and position my self for easier fishing?

PM My technique for turning or 360 is to use only one foot with back and forth motion from sidewise direction to scoup water upward with my toes on that same foot, and go thru 360 or stop when your angle is reached. Works without fins, as I use a motor for main propulsion.

Im sure the more I go the better I will get, but I am will to take any and all advice

Thx[/quote]

Hope above comments help. PM
[signature]
[#0000FF]Like many other things in life, there are a list of prerequisite "experiences" you have to go through before you can call yourself a float tuber. Launching without disaster is one. Being able to turn and maneuver is another.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Some of these things you just can't anticipate nor can someone tell you exactly how to do it without making any mistakes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
well my friend, I belive I am on my way, another thing I didn't mention was those muscle I found after my first day of basic training 40 yrs ago, well I found them again, lol I have learned so much in the few trips I have taken. but I have also found a new love. not mention a fun way to exercise. this week I will set my tube up with rod holders and later a fish finder. I have considered a trolling motor but I would lose the exercise . I look for to the future trips and thank you all for the help. the njext trip I will take some pics and share them. thx again everyone. I have been this excited since my first fish at my age I have learned to cherish these times[fishon]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yes, kicking around in a float tube does provide some good exercise. But unless you go crazy in wanting to tow a water skier...or get caught in a wind blowing the wrong way...the exercise is usually "passive" and is more beneficial than otherwise.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Many years ago I had an older gentleman persuade me to take him fishing in the new float tube setup he had just purchased from a store owned by one of my friends. After a morning of successful kicking and fishing he told me "the rest of the story". Seems he was a heart surgeon and wanted to check out whether or not float tubing could be helpful or harmful. And wait...there's more...he was a heart surgery patient himself. He had been carefully monitoring his physical well-being during the setup, fishing and takedown steps. His evaluation was that it indeed was a good form of passive exercise...when done properly. And the heart patient angling club to which he belonged all soon had float tubes and enjoyed many trips on the water.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As you become more familiar with your new craft, and the best ways to get around in it, most of your actions will be automatic and you can concentrate more on fishing than on operating your float tube. But always be mindful of safety and do not take unnecessary chances...even if you begin to think you are invincible. Mama Nature can get miffed if she thinks you are taking her for granted.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have a pontoon fly fishing boat. I have the mount and electric motor and battery box that I save for a larger boat, but I like the exercise for health and fitness.

Though I've been enjoying shore fishing the last few years which is exercise, too when combined with covering a couple miles of shore. I like that as an option for windy days because I can fish 100% of the time not fighting the wind. But, mainly, I like shore fishing for the simplicity and it will be the fishing in harsh times to come when our preparedness is needed.

I go through cycles of different kinds of fishing and I'll use my fly fishing boat again particularly since I'm getting back into fitness in a big way. I used oars the last several times out with it. That's great exercise and moves it well, but it's better to use fins to fish more.

I use very long SCUBA fins for when I want to get a good workout and I have fly fishing fins which are better for fishing.
[signature]