Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay Friday night cast net sample.
Well just got back from checking Willard bays forage fish size and species.

This time north marina...

after a couple throws off the dock I was told I could not cast net from a dock.. not a sole using the dock at the time but I guess those the rules...

North marina showed a little more life then south marina did at least for today.

In the sample was Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, Shad (Threadfin) spot tail shiners and walleye
[signature]
I think those are just baby gizzard shad. I dont see the little thread part of the fin to be a threadfin shad.
[signature]
Threadfin shad
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are no threadfin shad in Willard...only gizzards. Threadfin cannot tolerate colder northern waters. Even the heartier gizzard shad suffer some winter kill.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Nice work on the pictures. Easy to ID species.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'm surprised you didn't get any baby carp. I found some large schools of them right on the ramp at the north marina a couple of years ago.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Looks like some of the shad are getting big enough to get the predators excited. Should be some more boils soon. Usually pick up in August.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Did you happen to ask why you couldn't throw off of the docks (especially when there was zero danger of hitting a boat)?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see a picture of any catfish.
[signature]
Well I guess I learned something new I also did not see the little fin that hangs back but for some reason thought there was thinfin in Willard my bad lol

I did ask why and the patrol boat said it's not allowed and that I needed to pull it in and said there is no fishing from the docks I said I was netting not fishing but they did not think that was funny.

here are some of the catfish
[signature]
Now that just about makes perfect sense...........not [mad] Patrol boat is nowhere to be found when the lake is full of power squadron boats that are actually creating a hazard, but harass someone doing something that will provide some beneficial information, in an area where and when no one else is even around...[:/]

Go figure..................
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Funny I felt the same way but thank goodness my wife was with me and told me to just calm down and get off the dock...

but the flip side is due to weeds and brush I needed to go over to the launch ramp to throw and it was being used by boaters getting off the lake causing more of a hazard to others but I was legal!!!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]After reading your report and seeing your (better) pictures, it occurred to me that it was about time for DWR to do their inshore netting survey...to see how the shad were coming along. So...I sent a link to your report to Chris Penne (DWR) so he could see how you did. His reply is below. Seems they are seeing fewer shad than last year. Might be some hope for more competition (feeding) among the predators.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF] [/#0000FF]
Very cool, Pat. Thanks for sharing. We just got done doing our shad and juvenile fish seining last week as well. That cast net shows some different species that we don't see. We mainly saw shad, juvenile largemouth smallmouth bass, and logperch. It's neat to see the juvenile walleye and catfish. So far the seining is suggesting the shad aren't nearly as thick this year compared to last year. We didn't see many in our seine compared to last year when we had five gallon buckets full from each seine pull. We'll see what happens as the season continues.

Chris
[#0000FF][/#0000FF]
[signature]
So cool!!!!
[signature]
Years ago there use to be a lot of thin fins used in Willard also on Utah lake for walleye but not used so much anymore.
[signature]