Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge Utah Lake catfish
Those of you who are interested in the big catfish in Utah Lake probably know that the Utah State record was caught there in 1978 by LeRoy Mortensen. It weighed 32.5 pounds, was 39.75 inches long, and had a 22 inch girth.

Fewer know of the 28.1 pound monster caught in 2007 by Elroy Colledge. It made quite a splash at the time [bobhappy]. This big boy was 38 inches long and taped 28 inches around. He was caught in Mud Lake on 17-pound line tipped with a chicken heart and it took thirty minutes to land the behemoth. Elroy had also caught a 9.5 pounder earlier that day on a hot dog. You can read the news story and see a photo here:

http://www.backcountry-magazine.com/even...6-2007.pdf

You'll need to scroll about halfway down to find it.

Do such beasts still roam the waters of Utah Lake today? Many of us are striving to answer that question! Does anyone know of huge catfish taken in the lake lately? If you do, please share.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I can only definitively say that the ones not taken are still there.
[signature]
Thank you. I totally confirm that what you said was what you said, despite what others may say.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Wait a minute! I just noticed that the two men mentioned above were named LeRoy and Elroy. I'm going down to the courthouse first thing in the morning and changing my name to ReLoy or Eryol.

P.S. Or maybe RyLeo flows off the Tongue better. Or Erlyo.
[signature]

I'm still on the search for one of these in Cutler. Caught in 2013.
http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/arc...0vxKXNMEwA
[signature]
I was told on June 25th (from a very reliable source) that a youngster caught one just two ounces off of the record, so yes they are still in there. I don't know when he will post some pictures so that we can all see it.
[signature]
Monster catfish …

Moab resident Cade Gill, 16, poses with a 37-inch catfish that he caught the morning of Sunday, June 21 [2015] at Ken’s Lake, south of Moab. The fish reportedly measured 1 inch longer than the current state record for its category. Gill said he landed the monster fish on the southeastern shore of the reservoir about 6:50 a.m. using a pole, with chicken livers as bait. After his dad, James Gill, documented the catch with a measuring tape and photographs, Cade released it back into the water. Based on its length, the fish’s weight was estimated to be approximately 26 pounds. The Gills have submitted the information and supporting documentation to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, which currently lists the catch-and-release record for a channel catfish at 36 inches. That catch was recorded by John Konzelman at Cutler Reservoir on April 12, 2013. Cade Gill said he has not yet heard back from state officials about whether his catch is the new certified record holder. Courtesy photo by James Gill
Moab Times-Independent

See attachment.

Anybody want to go down after it?
[signature]

[#0000FF]Check this one.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[inline "29# UL CAT.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Here's a photo of LeRoy Mortensen with his state record catfish.
[signature]

My middle name is already one of those [cool] And my grandsons first name is the same as my middle name [Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I didn't mean to offend anyone--just to poke a little fun at myself.
[signature]

Ok TD, who is showing off who in that pic ?? The young man in it can't be you, he's to good looking !! Nice catch by the way !!

PS: Main reason I don't post pics is that the fish always look better than I do !!
[#0000FF]Nope. Not me. You're right. Too good looking.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When it comes to having your picture taken, some of us want justice. Others want mercy. I fall into the latter category. I don't got no "good side".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I took no offense. I think Leroy is a good name. Maybe I'll catch the next record breaking Catfish here in Utah.........
yea, right................[Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
You guys are killing me! Haha
[signature]
At least I didn't re-post a picture of TD's cousins, speaking of good-looking.
[signature]