Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no fishing from the dock???
Ok so first off yes I know most ducks say no fishing from the dock so some of you will say that's good enough reason.
I want to know why as I have been kicked off 3 docks in a week for cast netting off of docks one of the docks said no fishing from dock (Willard bay) but twice now I've been told in a very harsh way no fishing from the docks at Strawberry bay marina and the docks I was on do not have signs yet a bigger dock has a sign that says no fishing or catfishing from the dock.

Yes I know I'm asking to be criticized but I'm just asking why is that a rule of no one is on the docks at the time and not around the docks at the time.

Today I was at strawberry got there at 3am and no sign of Chubs so I grabbed a few Walmartbags and started cleaning up trash and strings hanging of the docks with chicken legs 4 stuffed bags later the chubs started to show up. so started cast netting or as close as I could do to look like cast netting .

after a few a family showed up with strings and chicken to catch crawdads next thing I know there getting a rude notice to get off the dock that did have a sign. then I was next and talk about a rude way to tell me to get off the dock!!!!! not a sole around and no sign on these smaller docks. yes I got off but not without telling the lady it's a stupid rule...
[signature]
Interesting, because I have never been asked to not use my cast net off of a dock at Strawberry. I haven't used one up there for several years (because of the lack of enough chubs to make it worth my while). I was told not to use my casting net off of the bow of my boat, one day, near the long-term docks. I think the guy was afraid that I might hit a boat with my net.

One good reason for no fishing from docks is that it is a safety issue. I have had people fishing from a dock and they wouldn't even move out of the way to allow me to use the dock with my boat. At the end of the day, most public docks are for boats, not for fishing. That said, I can't imagine why anyone would care at nighttime if there are no boats in the area, other than to be consistent.
[signature]
I agree with you about the lack of reason. If you have no boat to launch/recover, but are charged the same amount for accessing facilities, why can't you use them for your own recreation purposes?
I agree with Kent, that there may be a safety issue when a boat is coming in. It can be difficult to get that though the head of a total yahoo or someone that may be hyper-focused on what they are doing, so there may be a consistency issue. However, if a facility charges non-boaters the same fees to enter, I think they should provide exclusive fishing docks/access as well.
[signature]
Well it kinda sounds like a common curtsey problem!

Now so you know yes I got there at 3 am but this took place at around 10 a.m so it was daytime but i made it a point to stay out of boaters ways and in many cases tried to help anyone having troubles loading unloading and even getting boats started when they was having problems.

Also i guess one of my biggest problems is the way I was harshly told to get off the dock!! if she would have asked politely I would have felt stupid the second time but she was honestly extreamly RUDE I could see someone having a bad day but I have watch her treat family's so rudely I was just down away and felt like I needed to jump back at her and that's not my personality!! Also I don't like her telling me it's against the law!

on a brighter note I just got done taking care of the chubs I did catch today 176!!!!!!
[signature]
If you got 176 at Strawberry you did great. It appears the chubs are making a rebound or perhaps you caught them spawning near shore. You might regret putting so many in a bag. Every year I find myself putting fewer and fewer in the same bag, so that I only thaw out a few at a time.
[signature]
ya I've been thinking of breaking them down smaller but only had so much bagging material. and wanted them in the freezer. on the other side today was really slow Sadly 2 weeks ago the shad where so thick in the marina it was ridicules...

I know photos are poor but you will get a idea and the marina was full of them...
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
You probably will not like the answer, but you asked, so here is an answer. For Strawberry (a Federal facility) it is based in part on [font "TimesNewRomanPSMT"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]16 U.S.C., Section 551, and Subpart B in Title 36 C.F.R. 261. Most Federal venues that are associated with water recreation will invoke this rule based on safety concerns. You can disagree with it all you like and call it a stupid rule, but the Feds really don't care. They have the authority and the law on their side. See, I told you that you wouldn't like the answer. And please, don't kill the messenger. [Wink][/#800000][/font][/font]

As to State run venues - like Willard Bay - I didn't look it up, but would assume that the Parks & Rec folks have similar rules backed up by State law and that they also consider it a safety issue. Again, agree or not matters in the least. The Parks & Rec officers have the authority and the law on their side and we are powerless to change that. [crazy]

Tight lines Y'all. [fishin]
[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Willard bay north marina on the south shore not too long ago they installed a new dock just for fishing...as a boater I also dont agree with the dock rules but I'm not here to debate....at least they finally put a dock in for guys that dont use a boat.
[signature]
I agree that if a dock says no fishing then it's no fishing but why is it such a safety issue? if a person pays say $9 to enter the park,marina etc they should have equal rights to use a dock or facilities under most conditions I can see that changing if a storm came up and all the boats needed to come off the water quickly.

Is it safer for someone to fish on a dock or fish on a boat ramp?

Also you are right it's a Rule or maybe a law but not all rules and laws make sense I just wanted to know why it's a Rule?

Also a little respect to people when asking them to not fish from a dock would go a long ways.

Thanks for you honest answer.

Maybe some of the old ramps that are rotting on the lake should be fixed up and used as a fishing dock as I know I see many people wanting to fish especially crawfish from the docks at Strawberry.
[signature]
It is a safety issue because anglers fishing from docks will often feel they are entitled to their spot even when a boat arrives. I have had to ask them to move numerous times.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I sent an email to Parks & Rec containing this: [font "Times New Roman"][#000000] [/#000000][/font]
Quote:[#0000ff]I haven’t been to all State Parks associated with water recreation but have been to several over the years. In many parks, there are signs posted on or at the entry point of curtesy docks for boaters that fishing/swimming is not allowed from the docks. Can you tell me the reasoning behind the ‘no fishing’ aspect of these restrictions? As a boater, I’m not against the restrictions, but I’m curious as to the rationale behind them.

Many non-boaters question the why they have to pay the same fee to enter a State Park but can’t use the all the facilities (including the courtesy docks), that the boaters use for the same fee. If the restrictions are coded into Utah State Law, I would appreciate a reference to the appropriate section of the law so that I can read it for a fuller understanding.

Thank you for any help you can provide.[/#0000ff]
[#800000][size 3]I'll report back any response I get.[/size][/#800000]

[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Just another law/rule that punishes the people who are thoughtful and respectful because a handful of people don't understand those concepts.

I live in WY and fish mostly in WY. Most of the docks up here say no fishing. But we have so few people in general, that you can get away with it. I'm of the mind if nobody else is at the lake, fishing off the dock isn't going to hurt a darn thing. When someone pulls up to launch their boat and use the dock... I'm off the dock before their boat even hits the water. This obviously won't work at a fairly busy lake.

I have never been harassed by rangers, park officials, or other anglers for doing this. But like I said, I pay very close attention to my surroundings and when someone is needing the dock... I don't just stop fishing, I get off the dock completely.

I think as a country we have to push back against some of these silly rules. We need to teach our children and friends/family that you must be respectful and thoughtful of others. But there is no reason to make silly rules and laws that are put in place because of a few bad apples. End rant.
[signature]
If the campground hosts are policing the no fishing from the dock rules I wish they would police the loading unloading only time limit. Some people are using Strawberry Bay docks as their personal tie up area. I am up at Strawberry every weekend and the same several boats are tied up all night at the public docks. Then when you come in to pull your boat out at midday there are boats tied up for hours no one around them. Not right
[signature]
I'd be interested to know who the lady worked for that told you to leave the dock. If she works for AL&L, which I suspect she does, she has zero enforcement authority. Those folks, who only own the camping concession, have no law enforcement rights. If it were me, I'd tell her to pound sand. Ticks me off when they try and do that. On a side note, if you are ever going to the marina for any reason (restaurant, store, boat rental) AL&L cannot legally make you pay to enter the marina area. The Phillips family who owns the marina concessions around the lake won a very significant legal battle that prohibits AL&L from making people pay the day fee if they are simply going to the marina store or are using the Phillips services such as boat rental, guiding, etc. This is applicable to Strawberry only though.

Edit: After looking at your photos, the old gal for sure does work for AL&L. Tell her to take a hike.
After seeing some of the feedback I feel as sportsman and women we need to be more courteous and stop people that are not as I know we good ones way our way the very few bad ones. that alone could help.

Also I feel its ridicules to have some laws. After talking to one fish and game office about my run in he said it's a Sad deal at many resivours and they will not in force it unless they see a safety issue at the time as they will do in many different cases.

igotabigone

OH God do I want to tell her to pound sand but I do not think that will help my cause so I'm trying to figure out my next step.

I could send AL&L a letter but I know that's a waste of time and paper. I'm sure she would only get a kick out of my complaints.

I really am interested in dubobs respons he gets back as really from what I've found out there are so many different agency's for different lakes and recreation areas I'm getting the idea no one wants to say why other then rules on BLM grounds vs Forest Service vs etc etc rules are such and such.
[signature]
So we were fishing strawberry marine the other night. And people and their strings of chicken strung all over the docks. Us with boats trying to get in and out of the water, it was more of a safety hazzard. People had their cars down o. The ramps for lighting, blocking the vehicles from loading up. And as I walked on the dock in the dark, tripping over these people's gear and strings. Nearly sending me into the lake. I think it should places should have a designated fishing dock. And th loading docks. But since they don't, people should not fish from dock when posted
[signature]
I agree with this approach. When boat docks are being used for boats, the fishing should stop. Honestly, it just really comes down to common courtesy. Sounds like UTHunting was being courteous.
I was in court and a young man was there with a ticket for "not having a rear bumper on the back of his pickup truck."

(New trucks are sold without rear bumpers, but the buyer most often one picks among a few choices.)

He said to the judge: "I would have just paid the ticket by mail, but it bothered me that not I nor anyone I ask nor even the police officer who wrote the ticket nor any other police officer that I asked could tell me why is that a law, so after putting in so much time already to try to find out why, I came here to ask why."

The judge said he didn't know why he should have a bumper on the rear of his pickup truck and asked everyone in the courtroom including singling out police officers and prosecutors and asked them individually. No one had an answer.

The Judge struck his gavel down hard and said: "Case dismissed."

That's rare.
[signature]
[quote Igottabigone]I'd be interested to know who the lady worked for that told you to leave the dock. If she works for AL&L, which I suspect she does, she has zero enforcement authority. Those folks, who only own the camping concession, have no law enforcement rights.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000](1) You are correct that AL&L employees have NO enforcement authority. However, they do have ready access (numbers on speed dial) to local law enforcement agencies and can and do, in extreme cases, call them for assistance and enforcement. Response by official LEOs would be a crap shoot at Strawberry. They (LEOs) can, and do, write citations for alleged violations when called - if they have the time to actually show up. I'm guessing it would be rare at Strawberry. [Wink] [/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000](2) To the best of my knowledge, AL&L does not collect any fee to visit the lodge or marina store/restaurant. The do have the right to collect a fee for camping and boat launching, and make people aware of the rules and restrictions. In most cases, their employees do it with respect and courtesy. But they always seem to have one or two employees that just don't get it and think they actually have to be rude and obnoxious to get their point across. My suggestion would be to tell them - politely, of course - that you have no intention of putting up with their rude/obnoxious behavior and if they want to continue the conversion in a civil manner that they better get their supervisor there ASAP. Then simply turn back to whatever it was you were doing and ignore them. Elevating the conversation to a higher level of intensity will accomplish nothing and could lead to ugly results. [/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000](3) I find it VERY annoying to retrieve my boat and have to weave in and around as many as 30 people using the dock for catching crawdads as has happened at least once in every two attempts this year alone. AAArrrggghhh! [/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000](4) I am at a loss for an idea or method that is fool proof to only allow courtesy dock access to boaters other than a 24/7 LEO presence. And that ain't hapnin in my lifetime.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Still no word back from the Parks & Rec folks[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
come on. you know know as well as anyone else those are courtesy docks for boats to use .if they let people fish all over them people on the dock could be seriously injured by boats coming in.boaters could be hurt by tripping over fishermen . it's a choke point on the lake and needs to be respected . a rule is a rule . if you want to fish off a dock rent a slip use a boat near the dock or fish at a private dock .
[signature]