Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISO Boulder Mountain lake recommendations
This coming weekend the family and I will be staying at the Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch - just off Hell's Backbone Road. I'm looking for lake recommendations that are accessible with a long wheel-base, normal clearance 4x4 pick-up (Tacoma). Or at least those where I can get fairly close, then make a short hike. I've previously fished the streams on the south slope above Escalante, but haven't tried any of the lakes. Any guidance offered is greatly appreciated. PM me if you're inclined to keep it on the down low.

Thanks,
Jeff Wagner (guitarfisher)
[signature]
You'll be fairly close to McGath. it's been a while since I've fished it - so I can't say for sure what the road conditions are like. Traditionally, the last couple miles are pretty rough.

There are a number of hike-in lakes from highway 12 above Boulder (Chris, Deer, Green, Moosman).

Or, you could go the other way and give those North Creek lakes (Barkers, Willow Bottoms, Flat, Joe Lay, Dougherty, etc.) a shot. Take the scenic route (Hell's Backbone --> Posey Lake --> Whites Flat --> North Creek road. Heck, if you want to fish a really nice stream with some native CR cutts, stop and toss a dry fly in Pine Creek up at Cowpuncher.
[signature]
Don’t really have recommendations on where to go but I can tell you a couple I would avoid. My son and I were at Green and Deer Creek about a week ago. Overall they were not worth the hike. We did manage a couple of nice fish but water was low and there was a lot of moss on the surface.
[signature]
Deer isn't an easy lake to fish. It never has been. Most of the lake is very shallow. There is a large deep area on the north-west end. It is easily seen from Google Earth. That's a pretty good place to find some fish.

Green can just be finicky. But it's a neat lake to fish, even if you don't catch them!

There are always fish to be had in that area. If you can't get them in Deer or Green, then you can always fall back to Moosman and the beaver ponds, as well as the stream flowing into Chriss. Chriss should provide some fish as well. Lot's of options up there...
[signature]
[quote PBH]Heck, if you want to fish a really nice stream with some native CR cutts, stop and toss a dry fly in Pine Creek up at Cowpuncher.[/quote]

Been there. Stayed a few days in the yurt a few years back. And hell yes, I'd do that again! I have a 7ft 3wt just for such an occasion.

Thanks for all the feedback!
[signature]