Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Whine
Hit Strawberry this morning along with every other boat in Utah. Fishing was slow for us pretty much all morning. Only hooked 4 Kokes and a few Cutts. Not the best day today, but as others have said, each day is different. Green dodger with Pink was what we got our hits on today. Great day on the water with my baby bro. Even though fishing was tough, it was still a great day to be out.

On a side note: Can't help but think the fishing pressure on Strawberry has something to do with it being slower lately. You could have walked off the lake today stepping from one boat to the other.

On another side note: Reminder! The ramp is not a waiting area. Tie your boat off on the permanent dock and then go get your trailer. Don't tie off on the docks in front of the ramp hogging up a loading lane. Also, there is a line to access the ramp. Just because your boat is waiting in the marina does not mean you can bypass the line. We are all waiting to get to the ramp.
[signature]
For sure!! On the boats and the dock!
[signature]
I saw the Po Po out patrolling the parking lot. I hope they were checking mussel stuff and not enforcing fees on a Federally owned piece of property leased to a private company! Our state tax money certainly should not go for that.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'll bite - Po Po? Never heard that term before.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
He means the DNR guys. And yes they were enforcing Quagga forms. I had my annual form, but forgot to display it (bleary-eyed @5:00am). Gave me a warning... Won't forget that again!

TiteLines
[signature]
[quote whit210]Hit Strawberry this morning along with every other boat in Utah.

On another side note: Reminder! The ramp is not a waiting area. Tie your boat off on the permanent dock and then go get your trailer. Don't tie off on the docks in front of the ramp hogging up a loading lane. Also, there is a line to access the ramp. Just because your boat is waiting in the marina does not mean you can bypass the line. We are all waiting to get to the ramp.[/quote]

PREACH! waited in line to get my boat out while some turd with a black Malibu did FULL launch prep on the ramp, inches in front of the water.
[signature]
I was with you and the rest of the Utah Armada there on Saturday. I don't think I have ever been there when it was busier on the water. The boat ramp was a hopping place.....

Had a dad and 2 sons (7 and 5 yr olds) with me that had never fished Kokes EVER. Fun day, though. There is nothing better than getting people on salmon that never have done it previously.

We caught 7 kokes and lost fish twice when we were doubled up. Had the others been more experienced I doubt we would have lost those, but..... that comes with the cost of learning how to land multiple fish at a time.

Pinks and Greens worked for us.
[signature]
Po Po = Police[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm guessing Sheriff's deputies then - and probably checking for unlicensed, double axle, boat trailers. The State LEO's have been hitting that pretty hard the past couple of seasons. Happens a lot at Willard. I hope they found some. You know - so they aren't 'wasting' our tax dollars. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm guessing it was probably the same unmarked DWR truck with 2 officers in it that checked me and my party over on the Soldier creek side. They were checking fish, licenses, Quagga paperwork etc. I was glad to see them out as it's the first time I've ever been checked on Strawberry.
On a side note we had already "filleted" our fish and both of the Lieutenants were very impressed with my LEGAL fillet method that meets both the spirit and letter of the law for Strawberry plus is very convenient when you get home.

Step 1 - Gut fish
Step 2 - Cut fillet starting at head and stopping just short of separating the fillet from
the tail. Leaving the fillet attached to the tail by the last inch or so of skin.
Step 3 - Remove rib cage
Step 4 - When you get home simply snip the piece of skin holding the fillet to the
carcass.
Ste 5 - Throw away skeleton.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Or you could gut them and be on your way home. You're still cutting the filet off of the skeleton and throwing the skeleton away at home. I'm not sure you've saved yourself any inconvenience or hassle. Can't see where you've changed much other than throwing away the ribcage at the cleaning station.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
I certainly don't have a problem with them checking on that kind of stuff. I just don't think they should be parking fee enforcers. In my opinion that is an AL&L problem, and my tax money shouldn't go to help them enforce anything! They make plenty of money already or they wouldn't be doing what they do.
[signature]
Much quicker and creates less mess once you get home, but to each their own I guess. [crazy]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
[quote Theekillerbee]I certainly don't have a problem with them checking on that kind of stuff. I just don't think they should be parking fee enforcers. In my opinion that is an AL&L problem, and my tax money shouldn't go to help them enforce anything! They make plenty of money already or they wouldn't be doing what they do.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]What you and many others don't know is that the AL&L employees have absolutely NO enforcement authority. They can ask or suggest that you take an expected action, but they can't make you do anything. They also can not write you a legal citation for breaking any rules, regulations, or laws. They must call a state LE agency and request they come and do that. When you get that little notice on your windshield at Strawberry from the AL&L folks that you didn't pay the day use fee, it is nothing more than a reminder that you didn't pay and a request to do so before leaving. You can just as easily ignore it and leave without paying. Nothing will happen to you if you don't pay. And I would doubt that the Utah DWR CO's would care in the least if you don't pay the day use fee at a Federal Recreation Area like Strawberry. They will cite you for it at a State facility. And the Feds do have a small number of LEO's working the Utah areas and they would more than likely cite you for a violation. But the AL&L folks are powerless to do anything but ask you for compliance.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
+1 on getting your boat ready BEFORE you pull down on the ramp. I was there Friday before last, got my boat all ready to launch IN THE PARKING LOT then had to wait for 4 people to get their boats ready on the ramp before I could launch. I have sympathy for the one guy launching by himself but the others had no excuse and one in particular was taking his sweet time taking the cover off, putting the plug in, putting his gear in the boat and who knows what else. He was still there when I left. Super inconsiderate.
[signature]