Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum
Fished early- limit of trout up to 15" then 45 minutes on a school of 8 to 9" gills. All gills hadn't spawned yet - seemed a little late but none the less full of eggs.
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip... thanks for the report... J
[signature]
What did the trout hit on? Were you in a boat?
[signature]
Boat- either a piece of perch meat on a 1/32 jig - or a 1/4 of a crawler. Did the same today and was off the water when the first skier came at 8:30. We picked up a limit of trout but on the water early.
[signature]
That’s great. I should have tried Hyrum today instead of Willard and Mantua. Maybe next time.
[signature]
[quote packfish]Fished early- limit of trout up to 15" then 45 minutes on a school of 8 to 9" gills. All gills hadn't spawned yet - seemed a little late but none the less full of eggs.[/quote]

Gills spawn every month during the full moon as soon as the water reaches 60 degrees. Seeing gills with eggs this time of year make complete sense.

That is why gills can and often do overpopulate if a predator is not there to thin them down.
Thank you- I did do a little follow up on them and see that they spawn thru August. Just had not been able to locate them until a few weeks ago.
[signature]
Wow I didn't know that, thanks for the info.... I think I'm a little smarter now when it comes to gills... I just thought they over populated due to so many eggs when they spawned... So are crappie just one time per year spawners, or are they like gills? Seems like carp keep spawning most of the summer, is that the case for them too? Sorry for all the questions, just never thought to ask them before... Thanks J
[signature]
I think crappies are just a spring time spawn- somewhere around that 60 degree mark also.
[signature]
Ok thanks, that is what I thought. Thanks J
[signature]
Crappie are generally a "one and done" species, but not all of them spawn at the same time - or at all. And some of them may spawn a lot earlier or later than the majority.

Like most fish, they don't follow our rules.
[signature]
I don't know why but I really like crappie they are one of my favorites. Fun fish for their size. Later J
[signature]