Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard....no skunk...take 2
Mate and I got out on the water @ 7:50 a.m. Sunday. Some clouds looking like threatening rain. Followed saved GPS track from Saturday. At 8:01, almost in the same spot as the last 2 times I got a hard hit and break off, did it again. Only this time I reeled, it (whatever it was) pulled, and about half way to the boat, it let go. Didn't lose any tackle or lure this time. So we pressed on toward Freeway Bay.
Mate using a rat-l-trap called Crawdad, me using a Fire Tiger. Had decided I didn't want to clean any fish, so we just kind of made it a contest on who boated the most.
Worked back and forth in 15-17 fow from feed lot to past the coffer dam. I got first Cat on board at 8:07 CPR. Second Cat at 8:20, CPR . She boated her first at 8:30, small, but still a counter, CPR. My #3 at 8:38, CPR. Her #2 at 9:15, # 3 at 9:23, #4 at 9:42 all CPR. Then the bite died and I figured she out fished me, again.
Started watching some dark clouds coming in from the south west, headed back toward marina, finally got my #4 at 11:44, just a bit past the "break off point" sure it wasn't what had snapped my lines twice. Was satisfied to call it a tie, didn't lose any lures, kicked the skunk out, and didn't need to spend any time at the cleaning station.
Got into the marina, anchored up near the channel no boat buoy. Started getting boat road ready while drowning some worms. Only saw 1 or 2 baby Wiper splashes, then Mate just had to break the tie..... a mid sized Perch, CPR [:/] Just as the first rain drops started. Was able to find a gap in the coming and going power squadron and got off the water without getting too badly wet [Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like another successful trip Forest, Willard sure is treating you better this year, compared to last year. The cats seem to be the dominate catch fish this year but tugs are tugs, better than not catching anything. Hope one of us catches that mystery fish this year[Wink].
[signature]
If'n I was you, Forest, I'd troll some extra beefy tackle with a wire leader past "that spot" until you get whatever it is in the boat. You may find quite a collection of free lures dangling from its dental work, too!

And be sure to kill the damn thing and turn it over to the DWR.
[signature]
The start of our own Catfish Hunter story,

Good luck catching the beast.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thought about that. Also want to try to grid search that area with my down scan on. See if maybe there is something man-made down there, like maybe an anchor, or a prop. Since each time I have had that hit, I have been running slow enough to bounce my lures off the bottom about every 5 yards or so.
Who knows. But if it is a toothy critter from Pineview, it should have at least my last two lures in it's mouth somewhere.
And you bet, I will sure kill it. After I photo it real good. [Wink]
[signature]

Cool
Wasn't he a Baseball player?
[signature]

Cool