Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 7-25-18
Made it up the Echo today with Wiperslayer, arrived at 5:40 am to an open gate and no one around, so we just put our state parks pass on the dash and went ahead and launched. Not a lot to say but we caught a bunch of planter sized bow up to 13" and one 9" perch trolling. We tried vertical jigging for the perch but no luck. We started off long lining our lures on one rod and trolling with two colors out with our lead core setups with the other. Later in the morning we put out our downriggers and went deeper about 30 to 40' and 4 colors on the lead core. It slowed down later in the morning but we were still catch fish at 12:30 when we left. Here are some pics of what we saw on the fish finder and the area around the lake.
[signature]
I am really surprised that you only caught planter sized rainbow! I normally catch a few planters but turn them loose.and target 16-19 inchers which seem to be quite plentiful.I hope to get back to ehco next weekI'll report then
[signature]
Yea, we were surprised too, it was almost like they just stocked those smaller fish but they fought pretty good, we would think they were bigger fish, until we got them right to the boat.
[signature]
Thanks for the post.... Fish looked pretty stacked up on the fish finder. I believe there is also a pretty good population of Channel Cats in there from several years back. Who knows what all else. Its good to see some updates on Echo.
[signature]
I was thinking the same thing, not many reports coming from there but it being our newest state park, I thought some pics and a report was worth posting. Even though the catching wasn't the greatest for anything other than small trout, it was still fun and it's looking good for ice fishing this Winter. I'm sure there are still some big cats in there but we were not really targeting them. I was thinking about bottom bouncing for walleye, after seeing all those fish on the bottom but never got got around to it.
[signature]
How are you fishing for the trout? Was there earlier this year and caught so nice rainbows on worms in about 80fow but i am sure things are different now.
[signature]
Curt, looks nice up there. Only been on Echo once, way back years ago. Didn't want to pay the entrance fee when it was private. Now that it's state park, just may have to give it another try. Looks like there is still plenty of water and it looked nice and calm in your photos. Fished Rockport a lot and I know that canyon can really funnel the wind. Maybe early enough in the morning to beat the power squadron.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Don't fish Echo during the summer and don't target Cats there.
But spend as many days as possible on the ice at Echo.

16-17 ice season. Hope I can get a picture to work.

About a 7 pound cat while jigging for Perch.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I have fished ehco several times this year with great sucess for trout in the 17-19 inch range. best sucess using leaded line-ford fender pop gear-worm./or down riggers using blue fox pixie lures..speed is usually 1.7 - 1.5....fish the upper end
[signature]
Good to see you make it up to Echo, Curt.
We are camping across the street at Camperworld.
We will put the boat on Echo possibly tomorrow.
Still want to locate good numbers oh Perch if we can.
[signature]
I'm sure they everywhere in the lake but the areas where we marked the most, that were right on the bottom, were in front of the boat ramp, where it drop into deeper water 40' or so and toward the dam on the East side. They seemed to move into deeper water later in the morning.
[signature]
Don't target cats there?
[signature]
This was the first time to fish Echo, from a boat, in over 20 yrs because of their outrageous launching fees, kind of like Pineview. Not sure if it is normal there but the wind wasn't bad at all that day. As we were leaving around 12:30 the power squadron was just arriving, much later than they do at Willard and much fewer too, so that is always a plus.
[signature]
[quote sharksugar101]Don't target cats there?[/quote]
The attached pic of a 9 lb Echo cat was caught Aug 15 a few years back, so maybe he is just trying to keep them to himself[Wink].
[signature]
No i don't go to Echo to target Cats.
The only fish in the lake i look for is Perch and that is why i only fish it through the ice.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.