Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 7/24
We took advantage of the awesome weather yesterday to get in some fishing. Low wind and mid-eighties at Strawberry made for a really nice day, weather-wise.

Unfortunately, the Kokanee fishing was pretty slow for us. We caught several slot cutts, but few salmon.

I'm really struggling to figure out what I'm missing. There are plenty of fish on the finder, and my WaterWolf camera confirms the fish are there. They just give our rigs a glance and move on (see my previously posted videos).

We're using scent (garlic on some, Pro-cure Kokanee on some), we're using pink Gulp maggots, sometimes "natural" Gulp Alive maggots, squids, and a variety of colors and sizes of dodgers (see some samples attached).

As a side note, the Kokanee are definitely at the beginning phases of the color change. And they are fattening up, if the one I cleaned is any indication.

The fish cleaning station was pretty quiet when we loaded up, so maybe it wasn't just us [Smile].
[signature]
Just a suggestion, shorten your leaders. More movement as you move closer to fall. Looks like you had 3 rigs that you are relying on the Dodger/blade moving your lure. The one with the spoon you are ok on your length. Early season, lengthen your leaders to about where you have them or a little longer. Just a suggestion. Also, sometimes the fish don't bite for unexplained reasons. [fishon]
[signature]
Relooked at your pics... you didn't have a spoon. At first glance one of your pics looked like a spoon. Good luck![fishon]
[signature]
I agree with Muirco. 9-12" leader. If you are fishing a billfish go longer......

After you have rigged up, put your rod tip in the water just to the side of the boat and look at the action on the dodge and squid. If it's not whipping that squid around shorten the leader or adjust the dodger. Keep looking at it after you adjust until it gives the right movement on the squid.....

Having said that, it is hot, quite a few of the Kokes are starting to dull up a bit..... not as "bright" as they prepare to spawn.

Good luck.
[signature]
One of them is an Apex lure, it has pretty good action on its own. We also used squids, wedding rings, etc. with generally the same result.
[signature]
[quote fishnotphish]One of them is an Apex lure, it has pretty good action on its own. We also used squids, wedding rings, etc. with generally the same result.[/quote]

I have Apex/Kokanee Killers in several colors, all of them are about 16 inches back and haven't had a trip yet that the kokes didn't hit them. We also use wedding rings and squids about 12-14 inches back with good results. On our most recent trip we tipped with salmon eggs and found them slightly more effective than the maggots.
[signature]
Just a couple of thoughts, and maybe you are already doing some of these: speed, 1.4 to 1.8.....do lots of "S" turns....customize as much of your presentation as you can, ei. your downrigger ball, your lures, your dodgers....PM me if interested......soak your Berkeley grubs in an oil of your choice a few days before hand....I like either shrimp or garlic, and use the gel scents on the back of your dodgers.........IMO, the Kokes are in their slow-down mode as far as the bite goes....heat, pre-spawn, and probably each Kokanee having seen lure after lure passing by their noses for 3 months....And, some days the best part of Kokanee fishing, is just being out there, knowing there's a chance of a 3 or 4 pounder.....Guluk....
[signature]
We fished yesterday as well. Great day (just like most every other day) to be on the water. The koke bite is definitely getting more sporadic. I fished Saturday with my daughter and we hooked 15 kokes, lost a few on the way in and released some small fish at the back of the boat. The eight we took home were all pretty nice fish. The bite was very streaky. We would hit 2-3 in 10 minutes and then go 45 minutes with only a few trout.

On the 24th I had a rookie in the boat. The education of a new koke fisherman is always interesting. We hooked 13 and lost six near the boat or at the net. Boated seven fish with one very nice 3.6 pound fish. Pink worked best for us early and then when things slowed we tried a dark orange which produced a few fish. They seemed to like lures with a little more action. The Apex did not produce but squids with spinner blades did. Billed squid also produced a couple.

Next week I will also try to shorten the leader and see what result we get.

Good luck!
[signature]
I fish my squids at 10 inches behind the dodgers. I have been getting limits by 11 am and we caught this 22 in and nearly 5 pounder on Saturday.
I fished the 24th and only caught 3 and lost one. The things I had against me that day were the late start, no wind and the nearly full moon. We didn’t get lines in until 8 and had to leave at noon. I have been keeping a fishing journal this summer and I have never really believed in that solar lunar calendar but it has been pretty consistent with the Koke feeding times. That calendar has them feeding during the night with the full moon and the better fishing really early in the morning before Sun up and in the day is after 11 am. See calendar attached. My friend caught 5 last night right at the predicted evening bite after 7pm. He just called with a live update this morning and he has only caught 2 so far and it is nearly 10 am now.
I have also noticed that when the lake is completely calm that the bite is slower. I have noticed that when the wind starts to pick up from 3mph to 7 or 8, that is when they all the sudden start feeding again.
My question now to everyone is when do the Salmon that are starting to turn pink move to the shallow areas of the bays to stage for spawning near the creeks? I think they are starting to move right now.
I am seeing a lot of fish on the finder around 30 ft and was told those were chubs.
It has been a great summer and I do not want this to end.
[signature]
My inline attachments do not work. Another try to attach.
[signature]
Not that I am any kind of expert, but I have never personally caught a limit of kokes after Pioneer day at Strawberry. Having said this, on Friday July 20th, I had one of my best days ever. The fish would hit within 30 seconds of getting to depth - both cutts and kokes. We had to weed through a lot of cutts. We started at 5:45 a.m. and had our limits at 7:30 a.m. - all males and quality fish between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs. Fishing with 4 rods we had all four rods out of the water a lot of the time.

Because the previous Friday was so good I went again on Wed July 25th and only caught 2 kokes, maybe lost another on the way in. Did catch a bunch of cutts. What's the difference? I'm not sure - maybe the 4 day holiday and the water was pounded! I too could see schools of fish; however, they were not biting. In general, I think the fishing is better 3 to 4 days after the normal weekend pressure.

I don't have any solutions, just a couple of recommendations:

1. I shortened my leaders to 10-12 inches a couple of weeks ago and I believe my success increased.

2. I believe I have had better success this year with beaded spinners in lieu of squids. I tried the Christensen spinners in very bright colors and was very pleased with my results. I would highly recommend their tackle (no, I do not know these folks).

3. It appears you are stabbing the maggot in the middle with your hook. I like to hook the maggot on the very end. I believe it doesn't affect the action of your squid/spinner as much.

4. As mentioned above, constantly check the action of your set up off to the side of your boat and adjust your speed accordingly so that you get maximum action and your blades are spinning.

For me, I think the koke season is over! You can occasionally catch them this late in the summer; however, I've never been able to catch limits like you could a week ago and I've fished for kokanee up there over the past 14 years.

I can only hope 2019 is as good as 2018. This has been a phenomenal koke fishing year at Strawberry! The best in my 14 years of fishing. Good job UDWR!

Good luck & tight lines . . . . .
[signature]
I appreciate all these posts. I went Saturday (7/28) and only landed three. Lost a few others but not great action. I took some friends from Florida and they were awed by the beauty of Strawberry. We all need to remember that is part of the experience in addition to landing some nice fish.

One other comment, I appreciate the boaters who are patient at the ramp when most people pull their boats off around Noon. It was very busy and windy and I saw several people helping strangers dock and load boats, which I also did. Nice to be part of a great niche of outdoorsmen.
[signature]